Circulation Pump or Other?

DTOM

I had an issue a few months ago with my water heater. I replaced it recently with a new one, filled the hot tub up, and now my circulation pump is giving me issues. I unplug the circ. pump from the spa pack, reset the breaker and everything works fine. When i plug the circ. pump back into the spa pack the breaker trips and its not always a right away kinda thing. If the water is cold the circ pump will work right up to a little over 90 degress and then trips the GFI. I tested the pumps wires for ohms and Im getting fair readings. Ive also monitored its temperature and it does not go above the 140 degrees F max (plus it has thermal protection anyway). Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated!! I do not want to buy a new one! 

Thanks

A couple of suggestions:

Do you have an ozonator?  If so, disconnect it from the pack.  It may have water in it, but only trips the breaker when the pack turns it on.  I've seen that many times.

If that doesn't help, try running the spa with one of the jet pumps disconnected from the pack.  There could be a leak on the shaft seal, and after a variable amount of time operating, that leaks sprays water into the motor and shorts the tub.   After a few minutes (or hours), that water dries up and the tub runs fine until the next time the pump turns on and sprays water.  The reason it would seem intermittent is because the jet pumps turn on once or twice a day to run for a minute, just to keep fresh water in the plumbing.  I've seen this happen plenty of times too.

Dave

Thanks Dave but ive already done all that and determined that all of that is working fine. Let me update on my findings and yet still my struggles: New circulation pump, new gfci, new water heater and my gfci still trips. I am $600 deep into this project. Narrowed it down to the pressure switch cord coming from the new water heater (however the cord is fine and the heater is fine to because its new right?!). So back to the water heater the initial problem I had before I opened up the panels. The new one is the exact replacement same kw, amperage, etc. I can leave the power cord plugged into it and just unplug the pressure switch cord from the pack and everything will work fine. I think the problem is on the board itself from there but cant pin it down. I'm getting 30 something amps from my power cord coming off the breaker. The breaker is a 2 pole 50 amp so I know its not overdrawing when everything is running and even right before it shuts down. I dont know what to do at this points. Could my new water heater be ****?

2 hours ago, Jersey Hot Tub Repair said:

A couple of suggestions:

Do you have an ozonator?  If so, disconnect it from the pack.  It may have water in it, but only trips the breaker when the pack turns it on.  I've seen that many times.

If that doesn't help, try running the spa with one of the jet pumps disconnected from the pack.  There could be a leak on the shaft seal, and after a variable amount of time operating, that leaks sprays water into the motor and shorts the tub.   After a few minutes (or hours), that water dries up and the tub runs fine until the next time the pump turns on and sprays water.  The reason it would seem intermittent is because the jet pumps turn on once or twice a day to run for a minute, just to keep fresh water in the plumbing.  I've seen this happen plenty of times too.

Dave

Thanks Dave but ive already done all that and determined that all of that is working fine. Let me update on my findings and yet still my struggles: New circulation pump, new gfci, new water heater and my gfci still trips. I am $600 deep into this project. Narrowed it down to the pressure switch cord coming from the new water heater (however the cord is fine and the heater is fine to because its new right?!). So back to the water heater the initial problem I had before I opened up the panels. The new one is the exact replacement same kw, amperage, etc. I can leave the power cord plugged into it and just unplug the pressure switch cord from the pack and everything will work fine. I think the problem is on the board itself from there but cant pin it down. I'm getting 30 something amps from my power cord coming off the breaker. The breaker is a 2 pole 50 amp so I know its not overdrawing when everything is running and even right before it shuts down. I dont know what to do at this points. Could my new water heater be s**t?