tips for spa rookies

timothy d

hi rookies

i got free training from a real pool guy on a bi weekly contract which i learned all the tricks of running a chlorine tub

first of all... if somebody talks you in to a bromine tub you will waste many hours a week with your chemistry set

aqua chek makes test strips for both tubs - the secret weapon to do it on your own

there are 4 things on a test strip that tells you your tub is safe before you go in

ph, chlorine, alkalinity, stabilizer

ph and alkalinity in the middle of the strip first - example 1-3 capf fulls of sani marc alkalinity powder dissolved in hot water then in to the tub

chlorine is chlorine. the same stuff you swam in in pools at school when you are a kid

they put stabilizer (acid) in the chlorine tablets to go in your float (5 ) maybe.. when a strip goes down at all add two or three as the melting process goes

dont flip out about high chlorine levels.. you can smell it when it is too high and always let the tub breathe a few minutes before you get in

stabilizer too high? same thing  it keeps you from cooking in basic water  a perfect tub does not cook you either way

feel

a little tingly is good  really slippery is bad  your water should be blue and clear always  why you put the float back in every time you get out of the tub

scum, brown bubbles, ring around the tub  you have uneducated rookies getting in your tub with cosmetic product on their bodies 

you rinse before you get in  you rinse after you get out   one person with cosmetics below the neck will wreck everything

chlorine or bromine your skin should be dry and smooth 24/7 after a tub and a good rinse

when you run your own tub with aqua chek test trips 12.99 for 50 test strips and no chemistry set

chemicals

minus gel is dropped in a few tablespoons of acid and your basic numbers are good

low basic water needs 1-3 capfulls of dissolved alkalinity powder 

good numbers in the middle of the strip

baking soda? a poor mans sledgehammer answer to opening a can

that is about it

i learned it all from a real pool guy from about 5 visits..never drained tub from beginning 5 months ago until now

i have hard water where i live and bromine people have to deal with calcium for water hardness

like i said before   bromine really needs the chemistry set  chlorine does not  chlorine is the superior sanitizer

50 strips in a little bottle  of aqua chek for chlorine or bromine

test your tub every time you go in

life is simple and safe

too much chlorine? you can smell it and you cant breathe it which is why you let your tub breathe before you get in

too much stabilizer? it is protecting you from cooking in basic water

you micro manage the ph and alkalinity and you will get 3 or 4 days of perfect numbers

i wont talk about shock

if you need to shock then you are not watching the tablets in the float

worst of all(friends) getting in to your tub with any cosmetic product and destroying all the advice i gave you

rinse filter once a week

soak filter in cleaning product and water and rinse thoroughly once a month

happy tubbing on your own with control of all chemistry with test strips and friends without body cosmetics

cheers

Edited by timothy d
forgot filter cleaning is monthly