Hot Spring Moto Massage Nipple Failure Rate?

jh259

Wondering if anyone has an idea of the failure rate of the Hot Spring Moto Massage Nipple?  My late 2012 Hot Spring Grandee started leaking recently, and of course now that it's out of warranty I have the dreaded Moto Massage Bleedline Nipple failure.   Thanks to this forum it was pretty easy for me to determine the problem,  I took the sides off dug into the tub and confirmed that in fact that the nipple on the bleedline had broken. 

Prior to digging into the spa I talked to Hot Spring earlier this week and they were very nice in discussing some possible repair options, and said yes this has been an issue on my year model spa.  I was curious if they might offer to cover via warranty since the problem seems pretty common,  and they had confirmed this has been an issue with my model but they made no such offer.  One repair option they mentioned was just to plug the bleedline from the inside of the moto massage.   I tried this but it did not appear to work, so I dug into the spa to investigate further.  As I dug the issue was confirmed.  Although my nipple was no broken so at first I was at a loss.  But when I poured some water into the moto massage it started leaking out the nipple.  So mine had just cracked.  When I attempted to pull the hose off it broke off completely.  My guess on why it didnt appear to fix the leak when I blocked from the inside is that the inside foam was SO WATER logged at this point it definitely needed to be opened up to have a change at drying out.   Wondering if it will every really dry?  Anyhow...  

Wondering if this is a common enough problem that Hot Spring should consider servicing this issue out of warranty for people on a good will basis.  On a $10k Spa to have to deal with this issue, just out of warranty, the cost, the hassle, well it's EXTREMELY disappointing.  Especially when it looks to be a VERY common problem.

Having only been a Hot Spring dealer since 2017, I can’t comment fully on the issue.  

However, our dealership services all Hot Spring sold previously in our territory and in the last 2 years, have done 3 of these repairs.  I was told the years most affected are 3rd quarter 2009 through 2nd quarter 2012.  I estimate in my areas there could be 200-250 spas in the field with Moto-Massages from that timeframe.  Not sure I would call it a widespread issue, but it is enough for Hot Spring to acknowledge it.

As for being covered outside of the warranty period, you would need to talk with customer service, they would be the ones to make that decision.  In my experience, customer service will approve an out of warranty repair under reasonable circumstances or if you are just past the warranty period.  

I’ve seen Watkins go above and beyond for both Hot Spring and Caldera when other manufacturers would just flat out say no.  My advice would be to contact customer service, be polite and respectful and see if a mutually acceptable resolution can be found.

• 1 month later...

Mind broke off also on my 2010 Envoy.   Luckily I saw the repair video on Youtube and contacted the poster.  He sold me a plug to put in the nipple for $5 and I have not had any issues with it.   It is a shame it is a common problem.  Good luck.  

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have to add to this, my "2013" SX, which was made in late 2012, also had this failure. Bad batch of plastic I guess. Thanks to this and other online posts I tried that spot first when the tub leaked after moving it recently. Was so relieved when I found it and didn't have to keep searching. Used a wooden golf tee as a plug for now. Also had to pinch the bleedline hose that attached to it to stop the leaking completely. All good for now.

I purchased a new nipple for $1.99 at our hot springs dealer and will drill out the old one and glue it in at our next water change. I came across a post somewhere that explained it does do something meaningful so I figure I'll repair it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, Saxy said:

Mind broke off also on my 2010 Envoy.   Luckily I saw the repair video on Youtube and contacted the poster.  He sold me a plug to put in the nipple for $5 and I have not had any issues with it.   It is a shame it is a common problem.  Good luck.  

Can you post a link to the video?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to the video that pointed me to my soluton.  

I contacted the poster of the video and he sold me essentially what is a cone shaped rubber stopper.  I put the rubber stopper  in the drain hole at the bottom of the moto massage jet and in 5 minutes my problem was solved.   If I ever need to full drain the tub, It is simple to pull the stopper back and and let it drain.   Best $5 I have ever spent in my life.  That to the person who posted the video for comming up with a soluton as my local dealer wanted well over $1000 to do this repair.   

• 8 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, Saxy said:

Do you have the contact for the plug?  Did you do anything with the tubing that was attached?  Thanks 

• 7 months later...

Seawest,

would you happen to have the link for the repair video and also where I can get the plug?  I just purchased a used 2010 HotSpring Vista and have determined that the nipple in the bottom of the moto massage box was rotted and leaking.  The nipple led to a clear tube.  I have seen that this is a known issue but I cant seem to find any solid answers on how to fix the issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

**** UPDATED****

We found that the nipple was HotSpring part number 30598.  I purchased said nipple, drilled the old one out with a 19/64" drill bit (USE THIS SIZE ONLY) and then replaced it with the new nipple.  I secured the new nipple in with JB WELD plastic bonder.  We used the JB on the outside of the box to secure it but also applied some inside the box on the new nipple with a syringe.  Let it sit for about an hour. This seems to have resolved the leak and the tub is holding water at this point. 

• 1 year later...

Old post but had to comment - we have a 1999 Grandee (still!) with the same issue - broken moto-massage bleed line nipple.  Classic fundamental design issue where the slightest strain on that fitting during manufacturing will ultimately result in premature failure (design for manufacturing gets an ‘F’!).  Hot Springs engineers take note: beef up (thicker, add fillet) those fittings.  All subtractive from the mold so cost shouldn’t be an issue.