Bromine Smell

jeremywatco

Hi everyone,

Got a new spa last month and for the first month struggled with it. Water turned green, then itchy, etc etc etc. Finally followed forum advice and threw out the test strips, got a Taylor test kit, applied some Ah-some and drained it. 

Flushed it a few times. 

Now started it back up about a week ago.

Fresh water

Balanced pH and Alkalinity to 7.6 and 100ppm. 

The used sodium bromine to 30ppm and activated with oxidizer. 

Using a floater with 4 tablets in it. 

Everything is now great, stable, clear and easy. 

One issue. Smell. The spa has a distinct smell like chlorine to it. And it sticks with you after you get out. It wasn't like this before. But before I was all screwed up so maybe there wasn't any bromine in it. 

I guess my question is, does bromine smell? This smells like a sour chlorine. 

Thanks Jeremy

• 2 months later...

Halogen odor preferences are subjective, as are the words we use to describe them , but to me Bromine smells just a little sweeter .  A sour component suggests you are either over sanitizing or there are yet-unoxidized contaminants. 

With the proper levels,  neither chlorine nor bromine should be strong or objectionable .  Floaters usually over sanitize...what bromine levels are you running at soak time?