Help with Hot Tub Cover Purchase

damianinpa

All,

My spa cover is very heavy and waterlogged.  I need to replace it.  I went to a couple local stores where they custom order and was shocked at pricing.  $500 was common.  Looking online there are about 10 or so places that jump out immediately offering custom covers.  They run a little cheaper (375 - 450).  But, in looking at reviews for most, I was surprised at the number of complaints.  Basically, no one place stood out as the 'go to' place to buy a good hot tub cover.  Many have F rating at BBB.  Can anyone recommend an online place that they purchased from where the quality turned out to be good and where they are happy with their purchase?  I hate to drop this much money to get an inferior product.  I'm planning on getting 5x3 with 2lb foam double wrapped.   

The internet is a great place to shop comparatively, but if you buy cheap, you're going to get cheap.  People want an $800 cover and buy one for $299 on Amazon and then complain the quality isn't up to snuff.

For a cover to last, it needs double stitching, thick vapor barriers, a good taper, a freight company that understands what "Use no Forklifts" mean, and proper care by the owner.  Proper care means it's not a play surface for the kids to walk on, keeping it clear of debris,  if the tub's not being used for the winter cover it with a tarp to protect the vinyl.

In New Jersey,  direct sunlight in hot summers, followed by freezing winter temperatures, deteriorate vinyl.  I see good covers last 4 or 5 years, and cheap covers last 3 years.  When you do a price comparison, it almost makes sense to buy the cheap cover and replace it every 3 or 4 years then spending twice as much for a "quality" cover that only buys you an extra year or two.

A lot of customers have told me they received horrible customer service from cheap on-line stores.  If an online store is selling you a cover for $299 that costs them $275 to manufacture and ship, how much hand holding can you realistically expect?  Their low margin shouldn't be the buyer's problem, but that's what happens.

Dave

Well, I've gone through at least 4 covers for my 1988 CalSpa since new.  My spa sits under the patio, protects it from summer sun, and from rain.

The current cover was in the back room of a pool supply company, they'd purchased a couple dozen covers of assorted sizes/colors, was a real bargain too, like $150 or less.

Replacement time is getting closer due to aging of the vinyl, not because of waterlogging.  My spa has a "holder" on the one side so I no longer need to lift the cover off and put on the ground, so prevents damage.

If I was in the market for a cover, I'd consider HomeDepot.com, can look at the customer reviews there, plus have the cover either delivered to the store for free, or to your home.  And 90 day return policy free from the store, and if damaged just don't take from the store.  https://www.homedepot.com/s/spa%20cover?NCNI-5

Home Depot carries spa covers by Beyondnice and Canadian spa company but, they don't look customizable.  BeyondNice is one of the places I was looking at purchasing from.  I think they were a little more expensive than others.  Just about every site advertises top vinyl (30 grade), double barrier of 4 or 6 mil, full seal heat stopper.  So, it's a tough choice which is why I was asking for opinions of where other users bought their covers.  It really amazes me that Yelp/BBB/Google have pretty bad ratings for most places.   I hate to drop $500 and get a lousy cover.  And yes, I do see lots of negative reviews about the shipping companies ruining the covers. 

Not sure if this is allowed or board etiquette, but, these are the places I have been looking:

Thecoverguy / Spadepot / affordablespacovers / Hottubworks / spa-mart / beyondnice / discoiuntspacovers / Myspacover /  FloridaSpaCovers

Lots of choices as you can see. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:51 AM, Cusser said:

Well, I've gone through at least 4 covers for my 1988 CalSpa since new.  My spa sits under the patio, protects it from summer sun, and from rain.

The current cover was in the back room of a pool supply company, they'd purchased a couple dozen covers of assorted sizes/colors, was a real bargain too, like $150 or less.

Replacement time is getting closer due to aging of the vinyl, not because of waterlogging.  My spa has a "holder" on the one side so I no longer need to lift the cover off and put on the ground, so prevents damage.

If I was in the market for a cover, I'd consider HomeDepot.com, can look at the customer reviews there, plus have the cover either delivered to the store for free, or to your home.  And 90 day return policy free from the store, and if damaged just don't take from the store.  https://www.homedepot.com/s/spa%20cover?NCNI-5

For what it's worth: my current spa cover is by Sweetwater Spas, and I found a link for those here http://www.hottubworks.com/ShopBySpaBrand/Sundance-Sweetwater_Spas_hot_tub_covers.php

I concur with Dave about longevity. I replaced 5 hot tub covers 3 years ago and got the cheapest bottom line cover you can get and I have already replaced 3 of them for water logging, kids walking on and breaking the foam etc. 

Ski resorts are about the only places who can justify cheaping out on the covers because they can afford to buy in bulk and discovered that even the top end model covers didn't stand a chance against patrons unfamiliar with spa care and can switch them out as needed.

A proper cover will cost around $550. But it will last a lot longer.

We have been re[lacing tubs with Strong Spas with the hard covers specifically because of this recurring cost.

Hey, 

I don't know if it means anything to you but I generally refer my clients to affordablespacovers.com, who I have yet to hear any complaints about. Apparently there are a bunch of bad reviews online, but my clients haven't had anything negative to say yet. For the record, I make nothing off my referrals there, though I wish I did at this point.

AM

Affordablespacovers was one the the places I was looking at.  They had much better pricing than others, but, the reviews concerned me.  In the end, I ordered a Cover from RHtubs.  I got the upgrades I wanted and price was less than some sites and a little more than others.  Should arrive in 3 weeks according to shipping.  Can't get here soon enough as my current cover is really waterlogged.  

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I got lucky, but I bought one slightly used off FaceBook Marketplace for $50.  It's been great so far and for $50, if it lasts a year I will be happy, but it will last longer.  Search craiglist and FB in your area.  There are always several for sale.

Here was the ad for me:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/308473619784997/?ref=messenger_banner

Here it is on my tub:

50275210_538226946657193_1031297917798842368_n.jpg

So, I got my hot tub cover.  It showed up a few weeks early which was nice.  I do have a concern though that maybe someone can address.  The cover was made in Mexico (I thought it was US), but, the underliner is not like the one I had before.  I had a mesh net liner and the new one is hard with 2 weep holes on each side.  So, when I open the cover, lots of water pours out the the weep holes back into the tub.  Is this normal?  Is this underliner better/worse than what I had?  Overall, I think this cover feels 'cheaper' than the one I replaced, but, if I get several years out of it, then I really don't car.