'04 Sweetwater Bahia: on, hums for 5 seconds, then off

benhen

i have a 2003 sweetwater bahia/w. a few weeks ago, the spa began humming... over the next week and a half, it kept getting louder and louder, but was working normally. around this time, it started turning on and off constantly and working erratically. now i throw the breaker, it clicks, starts the loud hum, display boots up, shows temperature, shows heat lamp, continues as normal (but still humming) for about 5-10 seconds, then everything turns off. sometimes in this cycle it will show “355” or “888” on the display in boot up or shut down. additionally, i can turn on JET 1 before it shuts down and it will run for an additional 10+ seconds before repeating the shut down process. whenever i hit JET 2, it shuts down immediately.

i am unsure if replacing the board is what i need to do, and if so... if this model is the right one to buy “6600-288” (NOTE: NEW PART NUMBER BEING USED INSTEAD IS “6600-726”).

Before you replace the board, I'd examine the interior and determine where the hum is coming from.  A seized motor would hum and could also trip the breaker if it was wet from a leak.

When replacing the board, go by the chip number - there will be an IC chip on the board with a small label with a number, that's what you use to find the correct board.  But I've never heard of a board humming, my guess is you have a problem somewhere else.

Dave