Digital tester for Bromine? Also basic care advice

ELeo

Hi all! Last month I moved into a house with a 1361 litre beachcomber hot tub, model seven-hundred-and-something. It's about 12 years old. The previous owner used bromine because we're in a hard water area and it's easier on the skin (sez he).

I've acquired the basic recommended chemicals (bromine granules, pH +, pH -, non-Cl shock, clarifier, descaler etc),  and have been testing the water daily with paper test strips. I was told that the chlorine patch on the test strips will also tell me bromine ppm but I've noticed that the colour patch doesn't change at all. So I suspect that I don't currently have the right kit for testing my water sanitiser. I've been chucking in about 15g of bromine granules every 3-4 days plus non-chlorine shock after use. The water doesn't smell bad, looks clear and we haven't noticed any adverse skin effects. Additionally the alkalinity and pH seem to stay low.. I was adding pH + but the test strip reading stayed the same even when gritty deposits formed on the bottom of the tub.

I've been trying to educate myself with blogs, tutorials, forum advice etc but it seems that I can't seem to get past the jargon that more experienced spa owners use! I've spoken to a local maintenance guy to book in a full service but he was really evasive about basic questions I had and tutted at me for buying some of the chemicals myself rather than thru a proper dealer (ie him). I'm certain he's going to give me the classic 'hard upsell' when he comes around. So I want to make sure I know what is necessary and what is 'nice to have' so I know what to say no to.

Can anyone recommend a good test kit that I should be using for my bromine system? Preferably Digital if these exist, and available to buy in the UK.

Also any advice on experience I've had with the paper test strips, both for Cl levels and alkalinity. Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong? Am I using the wrong test kit type for my system?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!