Contactor or heater tripping GFCI

Tubber49

I've had a Spabuilders  AP-4 for years.  Last year I gave up the ghost on one and found a brand new one on ebay extremely reasonably priced.  It's been working like a champ until a few days ago.

The heater contactor started chattering and a few days later, the GFCI tripped.  It works just fine with the heat shut off so I'm pretty sure it's the contactor and because it was heating fine until the chattering, I'm thinking it's the heater contactor NOT the element itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts.  Can a contactor cause a GFCI to trip?  

Any thoughts? 

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

GFCI's usually trip because they sense voltage going to ground.  I only see about one tub with contactors a year, but can't recall a bad contactor tripping a GFCI.

Now, a bad heater element is to blame for at least half the GFCI trips we get called out for.

Why not disconnect the heater from the contactor, and see if calling for heat and activating the contactor causes the GFCI to trip?

Dave

Thanks, but I'm sure I found the problem.  The pressure switch is leaking.  Tried to adjust in and removed it and re-seated it but it leaks even more.  There was a ton of water in the control which I vac'd out and dried with a hair dryer but the minute I started the pump, it leaked even more.  So I ordered a new pressure switch and see if that caused the problem.  Based on the amount of water, I'll "assume" that that's why the GFCI tripped.  Nothing electrical should be running that wet.  

I'll keep you in the loop when the new part arrives.  Cross your fingers!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late update.  The pressure switch did the trick and I'm all up and running.  Still a bit noisy but heating like a champ.  Because it was deep freeze time here in NJ, I was concerned not to drain the tub.  I found a rubber plug to stop up the hole where the leaking pressure switch went and, because I'm running 110, ran the pump the whole time.  The water never dropped below 60 degrees.  With the pressure switch bypassed, I could turn on the heater and the light came on.  I was afraid to run the heater any longer but that test was enough to encourage me I was on the right track.  I do have another question but will make another post when I've got a better handle on what I need to do.  I wish you were closer to me in North Jersey, I may send you pictures just to give you a laugh but I've had this old baby up and running for 20 years!  

Thanks for your help.  We NJ people are the best!