Is it possible water bypasses my filter?

Chiroken

I have been battling cream coloured flakes in my hot tub for a long time and cannot solve the problem. I don't understand why my filter won't catch them and remove from the water column. If I'm slack on chemistry or bang on it doesn't seem to matter. I've drained and refilled. I used pipe cleaning products, I've cleaned and replaced the filter. No major change. Is it possible the water isn't actually flowing through my filter and bypassing it somehow? Through my main access panel I see 4 gate valves, all open. 2 pump system.  I can put a piece of sheet floss over the overflow and it will collect the floaties, that is as good as I've figured. The purchase store is out of business and the replacement store can't figure it out. I am desperate! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tub is a NorthWinds by Coast Spas, model Z ENZ 50.

I had this!  Maybe.  The tag on the cover, when closed it hangs in the water.  Takes about 10 months but it starts to dissolve!  I complained to my local dealer who had no idea what it was until I figured it out and then said "oh yeah that."  Yeesh.  Check to see if it's the tag, it sounds exactly like what I had.

• 1 month later...

It is possible for water to bypass your filter.   I have a Waterway top-load cartridge filter. There is a spring loaded bypass at the very bottom which is supposed to open when the pump is on high and shut automatically when it is not.  The spring on my value is broken so the water ALWAYS bypasses the filter.   Does anyone know if the spring can be replaced or do I need to replace the entire filter housing?