Hotsprings Sovereign - No heat - Help?

hopoffbaby

Hi All,

We have a Hot Springs Sovereign from ~2006 (ish). It has decided to stop heating the water after a spa party :(

The display flashes the green (ready) and red (power) lights after around 30 seconds from power on. According to the user manual:

If the spa is not heating, the red and green lights are blinking, but the pump and light are operating, then the pressure switch may be open. Opening of the pressure switch is normally a result of one or a combination of these problems: 1) a clogged filter cartridge, 2) blockage within the system plumbing, 3) power was not disconnected to the spa before it was drained, or 4) an air lock in the plumbing lines. Once the problem has been identified and corrected the pressure switch will close which will energize the heater.

I have replaced the filters with new ones, and have tried bleeding air from the drain plug at the bottom. I have also used a plunger on the filter opening (where the silver ions go) and disconnected a few tubes around the small pump to try and bleed air (couldn't get most off as they clearly haven't moved for 10+ years). Still the lights mock us....

Inspired by this blog I tested the following (with the spa powered off) with a multi-meter, which to me I think are normal (although I am a rank amateur):

Pressure Switch: 0 Ohms

LimTherm: 12.2K Ohms

RegTherm 12.1K Ohms

The water temp is prob 25C at a guesstimate.

One other thing i noticed is that the heater has a small leak in the plastic end cap as described in this post. Although this has been like this for at least 2 months and has worked fine throughout. 

The circulation pump is working, we have bubbles from the heat inlet. The jet pump also works. 

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers,

hopoffbaby.

Update:

After reading this blog I found out that the pressure switch can be bypassed for diagnostics. I did just that with a jumper cable at the motherboard contacts and hey presto, the spa starts to heat and the lights are back to normal.

So it looks like there is an issue with the pressure switch. From what I can find, it looks like this is a integrated component. Does any one have an exploded diagram of the heater, or know of any way to service it. Failing that, is there likely any issue with leaving this bypass in place permanently?

I have also noticed that when cleaning the filters, there is a LOT of white stuff that comes out of the filter with the silver ions cartridge in it. Is this normal? At the moment this junk is all over my patio... I can only imagine what the inside of the heater must look like.

Cheers,

hopoffbaby

I have a 1988 CalSpa, and I've had to adjust the pressure switch a couple of times, pretty straightforward.  Did you try running without the filter cartridge in place?

For mine, I did find that replacement pressure switches are still available, as well as universal types I could add.

12 minutes ago, Cusser said:

I have a 1988 CalSpa, and I've had to adjust the pressure switch a couple of times, pretty straightforward.  Did you try running without the filter cartridge in place?

For mine, I did find that replacement pressure switches are still available, as well as universal types I could add.

Hi,

Yeah I tried without the filters with no luck. I have bypassed the pressure switch now and all seems ok.

The pressure switch on ours is integrated into the heater, so the whole thing would need replacing. Do you think the universal ones can be added inline directly into one of the silicon hoses instead of the heater itself?

Cheers

• 1 year later...