Can't get BR level to stay

rizzyk

Hey there. I had this problem before my last drain as well, was hoping to get some help here.

Refilled about a week or two ago. I have ozone, but it might need replacing, I'm testing soon.

I'm using test strips - I know they aren't great, but they're all I've got for now.

I've been using Leisure Time.

I totally drained the tub, did a line flush, everything, then refilled.

I have some  Leisure Time Brominating Granular (Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, anhydrous: 84.15%, Sodium Brominde: 14.7%, Other Ingredients: 1.15%) as well as Reserve (32% Sodium Bromide) - when I shock it with Renew (Potassium Peroxymonosulfate: 32.18%,), nothing seems to happen - I can't maintain a Br level to save my life. I just added some Granulated a few days ago and some shock, and verified that I had a level (about 3ppm), but it was gone by the next day. Water is clear and looks fine. I can smell a bit of Bromine right now, but the level comes out to zero.

Tub was used once and seemed to maintain its levels beforehand. I over did it a bit and used a smidge of chlorine neutralizer weeks ago as well as the sun to bring it down from 10ppm to 5ppm.

I don't have a floater as I was going to just supplement the levels once a week - I do have bromide tablets I can put in a floater if need be.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any insight appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

The monopersulfate (mps) could be confusing your test strips.   if you do have enough bromide reserve, the mps could be producing high bromine levels above that of the test strips ability to test.   If your bromide reserve is too low, shocking with mps wont produce much bromine at all. 

When starting a bromine spa with the granulated bromine,  you have mostly a chlorine space with a small amount of bromide reserve.  As you keep adding granular bromine the reserve builds over time and the transition to bromine becomes complete.   Its helpful to remember that the bromine granules are mostly chlorine which is the oxidizer to produce bromine from the bromide salts that are also part of the formulation