Can't find heating element?

sfaust

Anyone able to help me figure out where to find the heater on my spa? We have a spa that was left at our house by the previous owner and it's not heating. The manual is for models 'UHS, UHH, UHP, HU1 & PU1'. Pretty sure it's a dream maker from Googling those models.

Anyway, I've traced all wires from the control box; one goes to the lights, one to the controls panel, two to sensors, one to the motor... and that's it. I don't see any wires for the heater or anything on the circuit board marked as heater. I also traced the water lines as much as possible inside the cabinet and I don't see a heater anywhere... I'm confused...

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

There are some spas that don't have a heater. Dream maker has a few that fit that bill. These tubs typically use a heat jacket system on the motor, using motor heat to maintain water temp. Some have a "Hot stick" pump discharge union that causes turbulence and friction in the flow of the water causing heat increase. I've seen some that use both systems. In most cases that I've encountered, these systems do well if the spa is indoors or in an area of the country where you don't get harsh winters. They have a really hard time keeping up at temps much lower than freezing as you can only gain maybe a degree per hour with these types of systems. Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

hm :/.  Well that sounds like maybe what it is, but we are in Colorado in the mountains and the tub is outside...  Wonder if that's why it was semi-abandoned.  Maybe it couldn't keep up and they just stopped using it.  Don't suppose there is a way to add a 'real' heater to it is there?  At least without replacing the circuit board and everything?