How to use Marlig fix a leak

Dennis Brown

I purchased  Marlig fix a leak to fix a small leak in my hot tub. I have read the instructions but am unclear about a few things. 

1. Do I leave the filters in or take them out.

2. Do I just run the recirculating pump or do I need to run the jets

3. After the leak seems to have stopped  Do I turn the hot tub off and let it sit for 24 hours or so.

4. Once the curing time has passed do I need to drain the hot tub and refill it.

Thanks,

Dennis

13 hours ago, Dennis Brown said:

I purchased  Marlig fix a leak to fix a small leak in my hot tub. I have read the instructions but am unclear about a few things. 

1. Do I leave the filters in or take them out.

2. Do I just run the recirculating pump or do I need to run the jets

3. After the leak seems to have stopped  Do I turn the hot tub off and let it sit for 24 hours or so.

4. Once the curing time has passed do I need to drain the hot tub and refill it.

Dennis

I use Seal-a-Leak about twice a year, for about 4 years now, on my 188 CalSpa.  If this Marlig stuff is similar/same as I suspect, here's what I do (CAPITALS):

1. Do I leave the filters in or take them out. TAKE THEM OUT

2. Do I just run the recirculating pump or do I need to run the jets I RUN THE JETS, YOU WANT WANT GIVES HIGHER PRESSURE, AS YOU DON'T KNOW WHETHER LEAK IS IN HIDDEN PLUMBING OR IN THE BASIN

3. After the leak seems to have stopped  Do I turn the hot tub off and let it sit for 24 hours or so. I CYCLE THOSE JETS FOR AT LEAST 12 - 24 HOURS; NO NEED TO LET IT SIT LONGER

4. Once the curing time has passed do I need to drain the hot tub and refill it.  I DO, THEN I REPLACE THE FILTER

No, I just run for a few 30-minute intervals, just because the pressure through the lines is higher when my jets are running.  If the leak is actually in the shell/basin, then this cycling would not be needed.

On my 1988 CalSpa, all I know is that the leak is not visible inside the equipment panel doors, no water there.  I've actually pulled off the two accessible sides and torn out some spray-in insulation - a huge mess - and couldn't find the leak there.  The 4th side is less than 1 foot from my house, so not accessible.  So I don't know if my former leak was in the plumbing lines or the basin itself.  Next time I get ambitious, I think I'll try some marine epoxy over a few basin cracks, even though I have no idea if these are just surface cracks or not.

Folks let the spa sit for a few weeks and see if the level stabilizes, to get an idea how high the leak site actually is.