Odd OHH fault on old Spaform M7-4000 Elite

reb78

Hi folks,

I am looking for a bit of help with a problem on our hot tub. It's old and we inherited it when we bought the house we now own. In the last year we have replaced the control panel, two speed pump, one of the one speed pumps and a fair bit of leaky pipework. It has functioned without problems for about 6 months!

We went out the other night to use it and OHH was on the control panel. Pressing a button on the panel made it disappear and we were able to use it but it did return. I turned it off for the night and then went out the next day to take a look at it. There is some corrosion around the element connections and I am not sure if this is related.

Flow with the circulation pump is good (this is a two speed pump that runs at the lower speed when circulating). The filters are clean (replaced them just in case) and the water level is all correct.

Testing today. If I turn on the main supply to the tub, the start up process begins on the control screen it makes a noise a bit like an electric kettle as it is turned on and then the OHH error comes up on the main screen within about 30 secs of turning the tub on, just after the kettle noise. This is either before or just after the Pr code appears for priming. If left for a few seconds at this point, I can press the Pump 1 button and set the priming off. It then runs through the priming process, registers the temperature shortly afterwards (today it was 18.5C) then heats as normal. At this point today, I set the temp to 26C. It got there fine, but what happens next might help with diagnosis perhaps/hopefully! So, if I increase the temp, it continues to heat. I can hear the heater relay click in and out in time with the heat message on the control panel, so assume that isn’t sticking. If I then decrease the temp after it has started heating, the circ pump stops, I hear the noise like a kettle (presumably from the heater) and then the OHH message appears. Waiting a couple of minutes and then pressing the pump button allows it all to start up again. 

Not sure what to do next for diagnostics and I dont want to throw money at parts without knowing what the fault is.

Any advice on where to go next very much appreciated!

Current setup:

IMG_29541.thumb.jpg.24911dc32c6aef5137a8feee9033c243.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I have felt it all over and its as cool as the water in the tub, so i dont think its overheating. 

One other bit of info I forgot to mention above was that I tried it shortly after the error first appeared and  it didnt seem to stop heating. I set the heat to 38C and it got to 41C and showed no sign of stopping heating. I initially thought sticky relay but it seems to click so presume it is switching. 

The OHH on startup come up before i think it calls the heater to heat even?

• 2 years later...

Hi 

I saw your thread and have also inherited a spa form hot tub M7 and i only have jet 1 working, is it fairly simple to replace the 2nd jet/pump ? 

Also not sure if anyone can help, it’s been working fine but last couple of days i have come down and the tub has tripped so gone cold, any suggestions 

Thanks 

It sounds like the heater relay is sticking on sometimes.  The "electric kettle" noise on boot is water boiling in the heater manifold before the pump turns on.  Vice versa, after tub is up to temp and pump shuts off, heater stays on.

Another possibility (now that I see the condition of the heater studs) is that the element has a pinhole or fracture in it's coating and is conducting to ground through the surrounding water via line 2 from the high limit.  This is a dangerous condition if the GFCI is not functioning or not present.  Do not enter or touch the water until you have a qualified technician address this issue.

spokanespas

1 hour ago, spokanespas said:

(now that I see the condition of the heater studs)

@spokanespas That's photo is from 2018...this is why we are asking folks to start a new thread describing their own issue... it's often confusing and could be dangerous if they or us don't read the entire post and miss something. Also the next person looking on their own might not find what they are looking for when the answer is buried in an old outdated post

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

@spokanespas That's photo is from 2018...this is why we are asking folks to start a new thread describing their own issue... it's often confusing and could be dangerous if they or us don't read the entire post and miss something. Also the next person looking on their own might not find what they are looking for when the answer is buried in an old outdated post

Got it.  I'll try to pay more attention to the dates.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi reb78, I appreciate this is an old thread but we have exactly the same issue on the same hot tub we inheriated 5 years ago. The OHH warning has started coming on, it appears the thermostate is not working as the hot tub just keeps increasing in temp until the OHH warning comes on. Did you find a solution? Many thanks Tom

On 2/24/2024 at 7:53 AM, TomB76 said:

Hi reb78, I appreciate this is an old thread but we have exactly the same issue on the same hot tub we inheriated 5 years ago. The OHH warning has started coming on, it appears the thermostate is not working as the hot tub just keeps increasing in temp until the OHH warning comes on. Did you find a solution? Many thanks Tom

Please start your own thread. In it fully describe your problem and the age and model of your spa. Also include pictures of your spa electronics, the wiring diagram usually found on the inside cover of the spa pack and of your equipment area.

We ask this to avoid giving information based on the wrong equipment because someone resurrected an old thread and it's either a different tub, not quite the same issue or different electronics. Everyone here is a volunteer and a new thread makes it that much easier for us to help you  instead of looking through a multiple page old thread to find out your issue isn't exactly the same and the advice may not be appropriate.

If I was to make a SWAG, I would say replace your temperature sensors. You may have only 1 sensor. However it could also be a flow switch or it could be a stuck heater relay.

This is why we need to see YOUR tub and setup.

• Like 1