Last year my hot tub froze when I was gone down South driving my parents.  I did not doing anything for it was a solid block of ice.  This Spring/Summer I monitored for leaks.  It all seemed good, the ater level never changed.  Of course procrastinating a little bit, I got it cleaned out and replaced with fresh water.  I turned the breaker on and it tripped after some time (not instantaneously).  I checked continuity across the element and it was present.  I removed the two wires from the control panel to the heater and turned the breaker on.  The pumps turned on and the breaker never popped again.  I purchased a new element online.  I thought about but did not order new washers.  I replaced the heater but could not get the housing to stop dripping.  I eventually cracked the plastic PVC shutoff valve.  I ordered new parts to include washers this time.  I got it all back together last night and filled.  When I woke up this morning, the breaker was tripped again.  This has been quite the event......  Please help, what am I missing?

lost in Michigan