buying a used hot tub that needs repair

BDsCycles

So, new units are kind of pricey.  Around here people will practically give away used hot tubs.  I'm not H20 oblivious, as we have a pool we use in the summer time.  I am thinking about finding a used hot tub.  I don't need (or want) a bunch of bells and whistles.  In fact, I'd prefer something simple, as it's less maintenance and things I have to worry about fixing.  I'm quite handy, and unless I am missing something, these things are pretty simple devices: a pump (with an inlet/discharge, and a power source) and a heater (which sounds like the element on a water heater)   Outside of that, maybe a light.  

Is it wishful thinking to believe I could find a simple unit that needs some new parts or repair and just do it myself, even removing or simplifying some of the features in the process?  Aren't pumps and heating elements available online (Amazon/Ebay) at reasonable prices, in the event I have a unit that needs parts or repair?  I can do most plumbing and carpentry jobs I need done myself, I have my own MIG welder, workshop with compressed air and plenty of tools, and have been repairing boats, motorcycles, and cars (as well as anything else that breaks!) for most of my adult life.  I keep thinking "there can't be much to these hot tubs..." but also don't want to waste my time and money on a never ending project.

What say you?

Year before last, someone offered us a free, used hot tub.  I wasn’t really all that interested in it, but my wife insisted.  The guy that offered it buys and flips houses, and the new owner of one of his houses wanted it gone.  He told me “one of my guys checked it out, the only thing wrong with it is the threads where the filter lid screws on are cracked, everything else works”! A $100 fix, he says. Lol. 

Long story short,  new filter housing, which by the way is “hard plumbed”, ie no unions for a quick fix.  New blower. New pump. New control panel. New light. New cover. New gate valve. New ionizer. Built new panels all four sides. 

I’ve probably got close to $1500 in it, which is still cheaper than a brand new one, I guess.  It’s an older spa, a 2008 model I think.  Knowing what I know now, I probably could have looked around for a newer, used model for cheap, that maybe had minor issues, and fixed it up for less money. But once I got that heavy sucker on my deck, I felt committed. 

To answer your question, YES !, you can easily fix a broken one yourself.  I’m neither a plumber nor an electrician, but I did everything myself, including the required 60a breaker that I mounted about 7’ away from the tub.  Go for it!

I got my tub super cheap in 2000 and it's still going strong.  New spa pack, new pumps, put in unions where there was none to change filter, etc.  

I was a 50 yr old single woman at the time.  

One of the parts sales sites had posted an article that said anyone could do it yourself, so I did!  The big thing is that the shell is NOT cracked.  A leak or crack in the shell will only create a nightmare.  If you can't see it filled, look around the area where it sits for leaks.  Mine was kept inside on a sunporch so there would have been some signs.

Have fun!  Will be looking for posts on your progress.

Yes, new hot tubs are among the most overpriced of consumer products.  As you suggest, there's really not much there.

One advantage new tubs can have is their insulation and covers have improved over time.

Yes, we got a great deal on an older used but good quality hot tub.  With some help from a neighbor with a trailer and large relatives, moving it went quickly and economically.

No, the reason it was so cheap is there's a gremlin in the temperature controls.  It will hold 106 for weeks, then won't hold temp for weeks.  Rebooted, it usually comes up to temp, but once the heater shuts off, it won't restart, until sometimes, it does.

Because the fault is intermittent, it doesn't stay dead and make itself easy to circuit test. I've followed every troubleshooting suggestion here, but found nothing.  Replacing the entire heating and control system will take the bargain out of it.  Your results may differ.

jack vines