Do I really need all those chemicals?

Ron L

Hi, in 2001 I bought new hot tub and was advised to use soft water and just to add a cup of bleach 30 minutes before each use. I did that against the advice of the people who sold me the tub and the big supply of chemicals. 18 years of use with no issues whatsoever was the result. 

Last month, October 2018, I bought a new hot tub and I was told using soft water would harm my tub because it has more metal parts now and that the salt in soft water would corrode those parts. I am trying to learn to use the chemicals but it seems such a hassle that I am thinking about just using the bleach again but not the soft water.

Just looking for some advice or anyone else doing that!

Ron L

Canada

Welcome Ron!  Read Nitro's post.  I also just bought a new tub with warranty.  The manufacturer strictly prohibits any liquid chemicals (bleach/acid, etc) and only wants you to use their approved granulated chems.  I have been using Nitro's dichlor/bleach method for years without issues and will continue to do so (don't tell the manufacturer).  The key is having your water balanced as described in the attached link and not doing anything crazy with the liquid bleach that will cause damage to your equipment or cover.  If you don't have a good test kit you need one.  The poolcalc app is very helpful in determining dosages and predicting results.  I use a digital kitchen scale to measure out my dry ingredients.  I got one for about $5 on ebay.  Filling with soft water shouldn't be an issue but you will need to add calcium to get your hardness to at least 50ppm to help prevent corrosion. I usually add enough calcium to get the CH around 150ppm.