Anyone know how these Chlorine test meters work or if they work at all?

DangerBoy

Has anyone ever tried out one of these inexpensive Chinese dual chlorine/pH testing meters you see on eBay and Amazon, etc.?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PC101-PH-Meter-Portable-Measure-Water-Quality-PH-CL2-Chlorine-Tester-Level-Meter-PH-Tester-for/32871566187.html

I'm most interested to know if they could be any good at measuring free Chlorine so let's limit the discussion to just that part of it.

This looks to me like a simple amperometric device with a basic anode and cathode. I'm guessing it measures a change in current caused by the chemical reduction of hypochlorous acid at the cathode based on the assumption that the current flowing is proportional to the (free) chlorine concentration.

If you read the instructions for how to get it to read chlorine levels in the ad, it appears what you need to do is measure the free chlorine levels using a known reliable method and then take a reading with this probe to determine the calibration constant. Thereafter, you use the probe to measure free chlorine applying that calibration constant.

is this even reliable? I'm thinking that pH and temperature are important variables here that would have to be held constant but assuming you were always careful to conduct your measurements with this probe at the same pH and temperature, could such a device produce halfways reliable and repeatable free chlorine level measurements?