Hot Springs Classic hi-limit tripping

mrwrick

Hi, my old Hot Spring Classic model F, 1989, has tripped the hi-limit breaker. It is an old 110v. model, heater works as long as jets are not on. The circulation pump seems to be cutting out after less than a minute causing the heater to heat too high, tripping the hi-limit breaker. It is not the heater reset breaker. When all cools down the hi-limit can be reset and the jets work fine. But as soon as I turn jets off I hear the recirc pump start, then, if the heater thermostat is set to turn heater on the recirc pump shortly stops and the breaker trips. The heater housing is hot at this point. What I take from this so far is that the jet pump is working, and the heater is working, but the recirc pump is likely blocked so no water is flowing through the heater assembly. While the recirc pump is running, If I put my hand in front of the recirc pump inlet from the tub, where i would normally feel strong suction, i fee little or no suction. I also feel no heat flowing from the heater outlet into the tub. The pump is about 5 yers old, a Silent-Flo E5, I believe. Is this the life of that model pump running 24/7? Would it be intermittent or just quit? Does the intermittent running indicate a blockage rather than a dead pump? Thanks for the help in solving this.