60 amp gfci sub panel for 50 amp tub

Tadst34

Hello all!  

I’m getting ready to install my new hot tub.  It is a plug and play that is convertable to 240v.  I already have a Eaton CH 4 circuit 60 amp gfci sub panel installed when house built.  There is a 60 amp breaker feeding the sub panel from main   trying to save some money, but not sure if the 60 amp gfci would be ok to run the 50 amp hot tub.  Of course would use the proper wire for 60 amps to the tub.  Does it have to be cable or can I use individual 6 awg wire?

Someone suggested moving the 60 amp gfci to the main panel and installing a standard 50 amp in the sub, but I don’t think NEC would like that!   Ideally, I would like to just connect the tub to the 60 amp gfci  Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Thank you.  

What do the instructions for the tub call for?  That's what you should do.

It sounds like you're saying you have a 60 amp breaker on the main and a 60 amp gfci breaker on the sub panel?  So are you trying to ask if you can run a 50 amp tub on a 60 amp breaker?  My initial answer would be "yes," unless the instructions say otherwise.

Gecko calls for a 20% over-capacity on their packs, so a 60 amp circuit would be used for a 48 amp tub.  I repair 30-35 tubs a week, and 60 amps seems to be the most common service I encounter.  About 30% of the tubs I see are on 50 amp breakers,.

Dave