Hot Springs Heater Reset

rahmann62

We have an older Hot Springs Highligh prob early 90's.  We purchased a house with a sunroom/spa room.  Has always been inside and is in great shape.  We filled it and it has been working great.  A couple small leaks but have gotten them taken care of.  We have been using the spa for about a month with no problems.  Yesterday I noticed the temperature of the water is down.  I checked and the red heater reset button is tripped.  I reset it, it kicks the circulation pump on and runs for about a minute and then trips the reset button again.  You have to wait about an hour and the button will reset but only runs for a minute again and then trips again.  Any ideas?  

Contact Hot Spring reps for guidance about your model by serial number. Also might try to purge the heater of air. If you had open lines with the leaks it might have accumulated air which can cause heater limit to trip because it heats too high quickly, air heats faster than water.

Well it looks like I got it figured out for now...  knock on wood!  Something must have been stuck on the circulation pump.  I was messing with the tub and the pump started making a bad rattle noise.  So I unhooked the lines to see if there was something stuck in the pump, didn't find anything, put it back together and its working good now.  Whatever was lodged must have come loose when I disconnected the water lines.  

• 4 years later...

I am having this same issue.  How do you bleed the air out of the heater.  I am afraid to touch the heater because when it goes out, we are out of the hot tub world.  It is too expensive to replace in a 30 yr old tub.  It usually happens when I refill the tub and try to heat the water initially.  Advice would be appreciated!