Will not stay powered - Please help

newb_hot_tub

Hello,

I have had a hot tub for 2 years now.  I haven't used it for many months, although I check the chemicals and clean filter, etc every week or two.  Last month, I realized it was off.

I checked the breaker and it had tripped.  When I flip it back on:

- Breaker will trip as soon as I touch either of the two pump buttons (to turn them on)

- Breaker will trip after a minute or so, when the tub attempts to power up to do its priming action from turning back on

I have a third smaller constant running filter pump, that runs, but when the main ones auto on, or I manually touch the button(s), the breaker trips.

Any ideas appreciated!  Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much Jersey!!

The tip helped.  I did the pump, then the other, etc.  Followed until I found out my ozonator was causing the trip.  unplugged it and Voila! 

I was able to drain, clean, refill, and get it up and running.  Can you tell me if I really need another ozonator? It seems that it 'helps' clean the water, but if your chems are all done properly, and you are shocking it properly, is it necessary?

Thanks again!  SAved me a huge bill from an electrician

The ozonator would turn on during a filtering cycle, so your symptom of shorting during the priming cycle makes sense. 

Most ozonators use a black light bulb that have a lifespan of approximately 2000 hours.  So, once the tub is about 2 years old, chances are the ozonator has stopped doing it's job.  As long as it doesn't get water into it's electronics, it will continue to turn on during filtering cycles, but it will not be putting ozone into the water. 

In your case, it sounds like some water has gotten into the ozonator and is causing it to short out.  When we repair tubs, we explain to customer's what the ozonator does and try to help them make their own informed decision.  I'd say about 9 out of 10 people don't have us replace the ozonator for them.  I'm sure a fraction of them do it on their own, but most don't.

In a 10 year old tub, I can tell you that the ozonator has probably been non-functioning for the past 7 or 8 years, and if you're happy with your water quality, then a new ozonator probably isn't going to matter to you.

In your case, your ozonator may have been working up until the time it failed.  Removing it may make a difference in your water quality.  Time will tell.

Personally, I think an ozonator is great because it reduces the amount of caustic chemicals you put into the tub.  A combination of an ozonator and a mineral stick (like Filter Frog or Nature 2) will eliminate the need for bromine and allow you to use monopersulfate, which is much easier on the skin.  You probably will still want to give it a dose of shock every 10 -14 days, depending upon how much you use the tub.

Dave