Hot Tub Heater won't cut off

JerryPittsJr

I have a Celebrity (Hollywood) Hot Tub that I purchased in 2016. My initial problem was as soon as I cut it on it would throw the breaker. I had a technician to come out and he told me that my pump had gone out. I ordered a pump and put it in, but was still having the same issue. I called the technician and we troubleshooted over the phone and he said that the pump was definitely bad but it sounded like the heater had also gone out. I ordered and installed the heater and the hot tub now pumps and heats up. The problem is that it will not turn off and the water gets too hot. I set the hot tub to turn off when the water gets to 98 degrees but it has gone past 107 and a too hot warning came on. I have been just been turning it off after I get out and turning it on about 3 hours before I want to get in. It's been heating up to the 103/104 degree range in that time range. When I manually cut it off, it will cut back on after about 15-20 minutes and continually run which is why it's getting so hot. Has anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions as to what the issue may be. I suspect that this was the issue that caused the pump and heater to simultaneously go out at the same time. They probably got too hot and damaged the parts. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you used a thermometer to verify the temperature on the tub is correct?  Your temp sensor may be bad and the tub is just doing what the sensor's telling it to do.

Does the tub turn off when it gets over 112 degrees?  If not, it sounds like your heater relay on the circuit board is not opening, which is a circuit board issue. 

If the tub is turning off when it reaches 112 degrees, then the hi limit sensor is working correctly, and the circuit board too. 

In New Jersey, we have a few customers every summer that have overheat problems.  The issue is the tub is in direct sunlight, it's 95 degrees outside, and the environment is just heating the water up faster than the heater.  In summer, with no heater being used, a hot tub can reach 95 degrees just from the friction caused by the pumps.  Add direct sunlight and a hot summer day and there's your overheating.  Could you be experiencing that?

I have not used a thermometer but have got in it at 105 degrees and it felt pretty accurate. I have not let it get to 112 degrees. I have been cutting it off at the breaker after I get out. One time I came out and it had a message that said something to the effect, “Too hot, do not get in”. Can’t remember the exact message. So, if I am understanding you correct I need to let it get to 112 and see if it cuts off?

We have had a hot humid summer but even when I have had it cut off for a few days and the water has cooled down in the 70’s, it still runs non-stop until I manually cut it off. The reason I have had to cut it off at the breaker is when I cut it off by the on/off button it stays off about 20 minutes then cuts back on, even though the temperature is already above the set temperature.

Thank you so much for trying to help.