Finish Blisters

Lovetofloat

I have a three year old swim spa. It has developed a large amount of tiny surface blisters on the bottom of it. The manufacturer and the dealer have been fantastic and offered me either full replacement or almost half the equivalent of my money back in cash to have it fixed and compensate me for my inconvenience. They're customer service has been excellent! 

However, my question is this..when I'm putting my salt in and when I'm doing my water tests, if I'm not sure about the results, I send a picture of the strip to the tech and he tells me what to do. At one point the spa was making way too much free chlorine and I think it may have been after I was told to put some boost in it.. So much so that it ruined bathing suits! I was told not to worry it would dissipate. This did eventually happen in time, month or more, but the black valves and handles etc were then discolored.  So, could that have caused the blisters? I want to know as I don't want it to happen again and I'm trying to decid whether or not to get another swim spa or have it repaired..

Edited by Lovetofloat
Added "surface"

I was reading something about that before, here: Blisters... and there are more articles on the subject listed there. They say that harsh chemicals can be one of the contributing causes of blisters (and "the prevailing opinion about the mechanism would indicate water chemistry might affect the rate of blister formation", as could other environmental factors, especially if the spa is not very new).

Thank you, this is very helpful.  I see two that are in the lower mainland in B C Canada.  I'm in Vancouver, they are close enough they may come. I'll call on Monday.  

Strangely, when I tested my water the other day after doing exactly what the tech told me to do, 10k of salt, my free chlorine is way up, and my ph off..so now I'm going to add chemicals to adjust the ph.  I'm going to drain it and add water then adjust the ph.

I don't get the impression that chlorine stays in water very long, so you might be able to let it correct itself. In my opinion it's best for it to be low when you're in the water, and added after you get out, then tested only before you get back in, so you won't have to worry about the quirkiness of a test strip until it matters (obviously it would tend to read high just after something was added). Maybe you could figure out how much you need by trail and error, since consulting a tech isn't working.