First set up - getting confused :(

pbb76

Just this week set up a LayzSpa Havana and trying to do all the 'right things' and dont know if I'm just making things worse. I'll try to bullet point everything;

1) Monday - filled tub, turned it on to heat it (note no chemicals at all yet).

2) Chlorine tablets arrived - checked the box and it said not to put them in until the PH level was right, PH testing and chemicals were due following day.

3) Wednesday, Spa still on (and now at 35 degrees) and (digital) PH tester arrived along with PH Up/Down chemicals. Now realised PH tester needs distilled water, back to Amazon to order.

4) Today, have managed to test the water. PH level is just a smidge over 7.0, so needs some PH up. Couldnt understand how to dilute it, but put 7g of "Up" in a beaker of warm water.

5) Went out to Spa and ran the jets - quite a lot of foam built up whilst jets were running* - poured in the PH Up solution, will check tonight to see if level has gone up to right amount.

So... my questions are:

1) Is it right the spa has been running with no chlorine in it for 4 days - obviously we have NOT been in it.

2) Due to us not being in it and no chemicals being in it - I havent changed the filter at all yet, is this ok?

3) What does the foam indicate? I've read it can happen when PH is low (which it is), so is it ok? (I've got some anti-foam arriving today)

4) Just generally, am I doing the right thing, trying to sort the PH before adding chlorine? 

5) When I DO add the first chlorine, I'm gonna do a shock. Is that 3 tablets (small ones in floater) and to open up the release valve on the floater all the way?

So confused! Please help!

Thanks.

Has anyone please got any advice here? I'm sure it should have taken a week and still be no closer to being able to use the hot tub. Its really stressing me out and I'm considering just getting rid of the thing now. Seems crazy amount of work needed to get it right?

I've managed to get hold of some test strips today - albeit ones for fish ponds. They are suggesting the PH level is very high (8+), yet my digital reader is showing 7.3

Also the strips show the chlorine result going very dark quickly. This may be right as I've been trying to shock it, but I've taken the chlorine floater out now. It still had 3 tablets in it barely dissolved.

Just at my wits end with it - so much info of "do this... dont do that, do this... no thats wrong, do this" :( So much for a relaxing experience.

I was overwhelmed as well at first and didn't think it was worth the stress but it gets easier.  I fill the hot tub and add Bromine instead of chlorine and usually have to add ph plus or minus. I use hot tub test strip from leisure time on amazon. I wait 24 hours and go ahead and use the tub.  Usually just have to add Bromine once a week and I also shock the tub once a week. At first I overdid the chemicals and the tub was foamy and cloudy.  Once foam starts  its hard to control, best to drain and refill. Anti-foam is just a temporary fix.  If you get it refilled, keep your alkalinity and ph at good level it should be fine.