Other No Fault heating problem

DirkG

Dear,

After filling the spa with too hot water (not smart, I know now…), I’ve got a blinking red and green light on the display panel of our Hotspring spa, a model somewhere roughly from between 2002 and 2005.  
I understood that the hot water may have tripped the high limit switch, as also mentioned in the user manual, or even worse but less probable, broken one of the components. 

I’ve been looking to reset this switch in the first place, but cannot find how. I cannot detect a switch on the heater nor on the board. So I haven’t got a clue how to solve the problem. The configuration consists of:

- no fault Watkins heater, type without reset button
- control box IQ 2020

Ozon and pumps not affected. I’ve got the bubbles and can use the jet sprays.

As the problem may result from a tripped switch, would short wiring on the board of this switch be an ultimate option ? 

Any advice, comments, suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Dirk

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. In the mean time,  I found out that the pressure switch of the No Fault heater tripped. I also discovered that, for this type of No Fault heater, the pressure switch cannot be replaced nor reset. This means I'd need to install a complete new, recent type No Fault heater.

I have now put a jumper on the pressure switch connection on the IQ2020 board. This makes my spa heat again, but of course without pressure/flow protection.

I'm wondering if this needs me to replace the heater. On the one hand, having a temperature and pressure/flow switch protection when replacing but purchase, shipping and customs costs to Europe may cost me a $1.000. On the other hand, relying on the temperature protection: if there would ever be now or less flow, the heater will warm up and activate the T switch, eliminating the risk.

So, it's quite some money versus additional safety layer. Does anyone know if this additional pressure/flow protection has such an added value it can justify the cost ?

Appreciate your points of view,

Dirk

The downside to a jumper is that you could, hypothetically, burn up your heater if your circ pump fails.  I've never shipped international so I'm no expert, but $1000 total cost seems a bit high on an item that can be had for under $300 online. 

That being said, Hot Springs makes a jumper to do exactly what you did on your own. HS# 72768. So it's obviously been an issue in the past and they obviously came to the same remedy that you did. 

Good luck good sir.