Can I eliminate my in floor pool controller with a plain pipe?

The 14+ year old in floor cleaning system controller on our pool is leaking.  When we moved into the house in 2004,  all the pop ups had been removed by the previous owner, leaving just open holes where all of the water returns, apart from one spa return (and the spa flows into the pool). 

Having had two previous pools where the pop ups just weren't effective we never replaced them, and don't plan to.  We have an excellent robotic cleaner.

So the question is, instead of purchasing an expensive controller (the estimate is $650) for a system we don't plan to use, can we just have the pool repair person take the controller out and replace it with straight pvc pipe.  That way, at least I think, the water will flow all the time to the six pipe where pop ups once were many years ago.  We're renting it out and live in a different state so my property manager is the go between.  Can't seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks for your help on this.

Can you post a picture of the "controller".  Most are just a valve that runs on water flow(from the pump). You should be able to either leave it in place or remove it (and replace the housing cover).  Should not need to remove the housing and replumb with pipe.