IQ 2020 Replacement and Upgrade

GB _Spa

Everyone,

I have a 2003 HS Landmark with the IQ 2020 control system that I bought for a song and have been rebuilding. I knew when I bought it that the heater panel and main panel were both toast (burned relays on both boards) and required replacement. I have looked online for replacement parts and found that the parts for that model year will run well over $600 while a complete replacement for a comparable HS spa from 2012 is only $225. I have checked and all the connections are either the same or are being replaced anyway. Is there any reason why using a newer model year IQ 2020 control box would not work?

The newer electronics will not be compatible with the older electronics.  Your exterior control panel, the brainbox behind it, the aux control panel and maybe the light will not be compatible.  

I'm curious what you are finding for $225.  As a Hot Spring dealer, my wholesale cost is more than that.

Since the spa was quite neglected I know I have a lot of work ahead to get it running. (I've already replaced the entire bottom frame and some of the upright framing due to rot and termites here in Florida.) The light will be replaced eventually but isn't as important as the rest. If I get this panel and have to order a compatible exterior control panel with brain box and an auxiliary control panel I may still come out ahead than if I purchased new/old stock. This is especially true if the current exterior control doesn't work 

I would be asking the seller why they are selling something brand new for so cheap, especially when it is a current part.  

Hot Spring stopped using the exterior control panel with brainbox after 2007.  If you went ahead and tried using that control box you would also need the digital control panel.  The digital control panels are meant to be mounted on the hot tub shell which there would not have been a dedicated spot on your Landmark.  You would have to cut a hole in the shell to mount it and fabricate a platform for it to rest on since you would have to recess it so the buttons don't get pressed every time the cover is shut.  Lastly, you would need the appropriate software file since the control boxes don't function without it.

It's going to  be a lot of work and headaches to get current electronics working on that hot tub.  I personally would not do that and either spend the money for the correct electronics or be patient and see if something used appears on ebay or craigslist.

Castletonia,

I was researching the web last night and came to the same conclusion. The '09 and later spas all have a very differently shaped control panel on the top of the tub. Now I get to be grumpy and find more coffee while I look...  😐

Thank you for your help.

• 4 months later...

Well the saga continues...

I sent the old boards to be repaired as the lowest cost option and the work was marginal at best. Right now I've replaced the ribbon cable, the circulation pump and the heater, and everything works from both the main control panel and the auxiliary panel on the opposite side of the tub... except the heater. I tested it and it shows 10Ω but there is no power to it. It could be that the board is bad despite repair, and I have another used one coming from eBay, but I want to test what I have first.

How do I test the relays (and the signals going to them) and what are the correct settings for the program jumpers on the main board (JP1-JP12)?