Going down 0.5 hp?

Rayf01

Hi all, looking for a bit of feedback here.

I bought a home with a tub. After some looking, I elected to do a bit of overhauling and replace the pump/motor which was 8 years old and had some issues. Now, the pump for the old one had a sticker that said 3.5 hp on it. I took it to a pump/motor shop and the guy told me "I always go off the number on the actual impeller", which says 3. So he says it was a 3 hp pump. I had him order me a new one, and of course when I look at the amp ratings the new one is lower and its a 3 hp pump. I am pretty sure my old one is a 3.5 hp. Looking at the specs of both pumps, they both appear to run at the same RPM, 3450/1725

If I install the new 3 hp one, is it going to make a huge difference and lack in jet pressure or do you think a person would even notice it much? Keep in mind I have never used the hot tub before because as soon as I took possession of the house I drained it.

I attached some photos. Old pump/motor are the one with the stickers together. New pump and motor are the one with the two single stickers.

01.jpg

N1.jpg

n2.jpg

The original might be a 4HP motor, based on the amp draw.  Replacement definitely looks like a 3HP, again, based on amp draw.  He is correct though, that the impeller matters.  I have seen many company's use an impeller that is smaller that what the motor claims to be.  No idea if you will really notice any difference.  When I would order replacement pumps for customers I would order based off the amp draw and frame size of the motor.  I always wanted it to match up with what was there originally.  I didn't care what the supposed HP was.