Digital test readers - worth it?

I use the strips to test my hot tub water and I guess they do a decent job as they often indicate I need to raise or lower my alkalinity or PH but what about the digital readers? They really vary in price and they seem to just monitor the same things as the strips.

Worth paying up to $100 for one?

• 1 month later...

I guess that would depend on who you ask :)  I have a Pinpoint pH meter that I use periodically in my hot tub.  It is great when I am adjusting my TA.  I put the acid in, aerate the heck out of it and watch the pH rise, add more acid.  I find by having my pH meter I can more quickly adjust my TA.  pH rises quicker and I don't have to wait the 30 minutes to test pH.  If it is used all the time, it should be calibrated monthly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, gthomson said:

I use the strips to test my hot tub water and I guess they do a decent job as they often indicate I need to raise or lower my alkalinity or PH but what about the digital readers? They really vary in price and they seem to just monitor the same things as the strips.

Worth paying up to $100 for one?

I bought this PH meter from amazon. Works, and matches what my local pool places says my waters PH is at. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Meter-Pocket-Size-Test/dp/B009K6OF5G/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1534717450&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ph+meter+digital

im looking for a TA digital one. But they seem to be harder to find

• 1 month later...

I switched to a digital test kit that gives me santizer levels, ph, alk and hardness.  Add drops to various test tubes and gives me a digital reading.  Makes my OCD of figuring out levels much better.  Maybe I am little color blind but especially ph on test strips are hard for me to tell which color it actually matches up with.  

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

• 2 months later...