backwashing Polaris

I have an old Polaris 180 which didn't seem to picking up as much of the leaves, etc. at the bottom of the pool as it usually did. For the first time I followed the backwashing instructions as best I could and I see a tremendous improvement. The manual only says: "...occasionally flush out the Polaris..." so I would like to know how often I should backwash it.  Also, exactly what is the backwashing process doing since only water should be traveling through the interior of the unit? Thank you.

The finger screen at the wall fitting, or inline, should be catching all the debris, and a "back washing" should not be necessary.  But that is in a perfect world.  Best answer is when ever you notice that the unit is not moving as quickly it used to, or picking up as well as it used to, that would be the time to back wash.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:56 AM, Pool Clown said:

The finger screen at the wall fitting, or inline, should be catching all the debris, and a "back washing" should not be necessary.  But that is in a perfect world.  Best answer is when ever you notice that the unit is not moving as quickly it used to, or picking up as well as it used to, that would be the time to back wash.

Thank you. The inline screen stays very clean but I do clean it out every time I backwash or have the filter cleaned anyway. I am not mechanically inclined so as I study the Polaris I cannot see how anything could clog the interior and be removed by backwashing but it certainly made a difference so I won't worry about an explanation.

• 1 month later...