1998 Tiger River Bengal Spa Check Valve Cracked

We bought a house in South Dakota that had this Bengal Hot Tub.  It worked fine for 5 years.  Last year we spent the winter in warmer latitudes so we decided to leave it empty.  Drained it and used a shop vac to suck out any remaining water.

Filled it back up in May and noticed that it  was leaking.  Tried using that spa stop-leak stuff - didn't work. Using a car screw-jack, jack stands and a few blocks of wood, I stood it up on its' side.

IMG_4216.jpg.c6bce7672072bfc033ef1aa922fd9a36.jpg

Found an old repair site and dug through the foam.  Couldn't find a crack so I made a couple of repairs where I found hardened stop-leak.  That wasn't it.

I shot water though the nearest jet to find the crack in the check-valve and both fittings.

1317372959_IMG_4236(1).jpg.4296c521bec24af4b67e1cfcb9447b17.jpg

Now, my question is - What's that fitting on the right?  Notice the smooth barb on the bottom.  A 1/4" line was connected to it.  Looking inside the fitting it looks like a small patch was glued over the hole.  Maybe it was debris but it's firmly attached.  What's that line for?  Looks like an air line to me.  But no check valve and there was no water in the 1/4" line.  And I can't find a matching pvc fitting anywhere.  It's 2" x 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4".

IMG_4226.jpg.23fca1f9ac81e822581d31e3d111595e.jpg  I also had to replace most of the rotted base and corners with treated wood.

I'll also have to come up with something to replace the siding that I removed.  It didn't come off easily and broke in several places.

I also replaced the o-rings on all but the mini-jets.

That smooth barb is called a bleed line fitting and has to be installed in the reducer by drilling with a 19/64" drill bit.  The part number is 30598 and is used in preventing an "air lock" and burning up the heater and/or circulation pump and to help water to drain out of equipment when emptying the spa. 

Mine was plugged - maybe that's why it cracked due to freezing.

• 3 years later...