Question about a pool thermometer

Cusser

I have a stupid question about a pool thermometer; in fact it's so stupid that I'm posting almost the same question in the Spa/Hot Tub Forum.

I'm in Arizona, and everything I've tried to tether a thermometer to the side of my pool degrades pretty quickly due to the sun and/or the chlorine (I use a floating dispenser and 3" tablets).  In my hot tub, I use bromine tablets, and the "tether" is not exposed to the sun.

I've tried polypropylene thin rope, trimmer line, cotton thin rope, even a brass-like chain like used on a ceiling fan.  I've bought several thermometers over the years, and the tethers on them amazing degrade just as fast.

So I'm open to suggestions as what you folks have found to be sturdy over time in the presence of chlorine, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 7:18 AM, Cusser said:

I bought an inexpensive chain at Home Depot claiming it was "solid brass" to try. 

If that doesn't work, I'll try the nylon fishing line line suggestion I saw on Google.

Let's just say that so far (two weeks) the SOLID BRASS lamp chain is holding up TONS better than the antique-brass one did (that lasted a couple of days at most before it broke in several places due to deterioration).

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 7:18 AM, Cusser said:

I bought an inexpensive chain at Home Depot claiming it was "solid brass" to try. 

If that doesn't work, I'll try the nylon fishing line line suggestion I saw on Google.

Well, that brass chain lasted just under 3 months for me, guess I'll be trying nylon fishing line....

Worth a try. 〰️

There's a fiberglass rope (as small as 1/8"), which should be chemical and temperature resistant like the spa shell material, I'd think.

By the way, a chemical compatibility chart for nylon says it is probably of temporary usefulness in chlorine water (kind of like polypropylene):

1. Satisfactory to 72°F (22°C)
C = Fair, Moderate Effect, not recommended for continuous use. Softening, loss of strength, or swelling may occur

At least one chart says that fiberglass is excellent in chlorine water, though that isn't specific to the rope, and there are different types of fiberglass, so it isn't exactly clear to me.

Another material is PTFE/Teflon, which is said to be excellent in chlorine water (and most other situations). Now it could be as simple as tying some teflon tape on it, since the thermometer is lightweight (you know, that isn't sticky tape, although it's usually in a little roll, and is sold in hardware stores).Teflon is used to coat other ropes to give them chemical resistance too, including fiberglass rope. Basically, fiberglass is for strength in extreme heat, and PTFE adds chemical protection up to its melting point, which is also high. They say teflon is not affected by UV either. So yeah, maybe now I know more uses of teflon tape (I've used it for a few things here and there).

320px-PTFE_seal_tape.jpg

Thanks, hadn't ever heard of fiberglass rope.  I just needed a new thermometer last week, am trying using the "rope" that it came with.  Amazing that manufacturers of these pool thermometers seem to ignore resistance of their little rope.....as Yogi Berra said: there must be something.

Of course Roseanne Roseannadanna said "it's always something" !!!

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 7:30 AM, Cusser said:

I just needed a new thermometer last week, am trying using the "rope" that it came with. 

As expected, the new "rope" supplied with that thermometer is junk too.

I think my skimmer basket is too small for most thermometers to fit in it, but will consider that.  My skimmer baskets don't seem to last that long either, they crack and break, even when I use genuine Hayward...