Looking to buy my first hot tub.

Pump can be wired as 120 or 240v after looking at the pump label.  My guess is its wired as 120v since I didn't have the 240v wires connected to the tub.  I drained the tub today, used my shop vac and sucked out all the dry nasty junk in the tub along with any other standing water in the tub.  It started raining so I couldn't finish cleaning the shell.  My next plan is to have the wife clean the shell while I try and suck out all the water that is in the one compartment area with the batting so I know it's dry the next time I fill the tub.

Ok, got everything cleaned and filled the tub one more time.  I checked the area by the batting after the tub was full of water and it didn't feel wet.  So I am crossing my fingers that tomorrow when I check its still dry.  I used both compressed air and a shop vac to clean out the electronic access panel area and everything looked to be in great shape except for the pipe that hooks into my fresh water III ozonator.  The nipple broke off in the pipe.  I ordered a new fitting online and hopefully it will be here by the 30th.  So far for $20 and a bit of my time I am really happy I picked this tub up!

Does anyone know if this is a drain line?  I capped off the line and the nipple on the motojet side but my guess is this might possibly be the same drain line that routes from the motojet to the pump?  Can I simply cap this line off?  My guess is this drain line is cracked somewhere.

I received a plumbing schematic of my tub.  I am now on the right track.  This is a drain line used for winterizing the tub.  I filled the tub to just below the main light fixture to see if the area by the light still fills up.  If it doesn't fill up that pretty much tells me that the drain lines are not leaking and my leak may just be the light fixture gasket.  I am really hoping it's the light gasket.  :)

jetsetter.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few days of cleaning and draining I was able to take my first soak this morning.  For such a little tub, the jets are POWERFUL.  I had to turn the air setting down as these things can blast you out.  Never owning a hot tub before (I have been in a few friends tubs) I found one problem with this tub as I was soaking.  The motojet's push air but they do not go up/down.  I assume I need new spines?  I replaced the piece of pipe with the oring in between the two spines.   I was unable to turn the jet rings to lower the power of the jets on individual seats (I will have service tech show me when he is here).

Here are the quirks I found.  This tub is small.  2 adults MAX.  I am 6' and the only seat that fits really well is the seat next to the lounger with the motojet.  Unfortunately this seats jets are pretty weak.  The rest you are just sunken too far down in the tub and the chlorine from the tub gets overwhelming with the jets on and you have to move to the taller seat after 5-10 minutes.

Pros:

This tub seems well built and insulated.

Great little tub with a powerful jet system!

Super easy to use even for a novice like me.

The foot jet in the lounger is AWESOME!

Cons:

Seats are not all that comfortable and due to the height when in the seats vs tub surround isn't ideal for long periods of time with the jets running as it creates a bunch of chlorine/steam.

There is no jet for therapeutic massage for hamstrings, butt, calves etc.  (If they would have placed a big jet in the center you could at least hover over it and get the offending sore muscle/muscles).  If I get another tub in the future this is going to be a MUST.

Seemed none of the jets would get anywhere near my upper back without soaking the back of my neck in the water and slouching and even then it was sub par at best.  The smaller jets seemed to be less therapeutic and more of a jet stream (great initially, bad for long time soaking).

All in all its a good bang for the buck tub, however if I paid MSRP for this tub I would have had buyers remorse.

What I would change or suggest to someone looking for their first hot tub...

WET TEST!  I know I am probably not the only self conscious person out there that doesn't want to wet test a bunch of tubs.  But if your buying this for its therapeutic purposes you NEED to wet test!  I know if I go to purchase a new tub I will be wet testing.

If you still don't want to wet test, this would be my suggestion.  Sit in a few tubs dry and find where your head is relative to the water level if it was full.  I would want almost a foot above the water line so I could rest my arms on the tub surround comfortably.  This would be ideal for me and I imagine most people.  I would also be looking for a tub that has a big center jet so I could get my calves, hamstrings, butt etc.  I would look for a tub with calf jets.

Am I happy with this "free" hot tub ($1000 into it when all said and done).  I sure am!

20180610_065859.jpg

• 6 months later...