2002 Caldera Paradise Martinique replacement board and topside

TheWGP

So I've posted a couple of times about our 2002 Caldera Paradise Martinique.  We've replaced heater relay boards a couple of times now, and the topside has some sections of the display that are shot.  We finally ended up with an apparently intermittent lack of heat that would be fixable for awhile with a reboot, but ultimately would result in a blinking red light on the heater relay board and no power to the heater.

I diagnosed these as relay failures - then this last time, I happened to notice the temperature display when it was supposed to be HOLDING temperature - and it was dancing around!  When the temperature was set higher than the water temp, it would heat just fine, and when the temperature was set lower than the water temp, it would turn off just fine.  But - when it was supposed to be "holding" then the topside displayed shifting temperatures (because of the display issues, not sure what exactly).  I then also noticed that the relays were clicking on and off in quick fashion - once every few seconds.

I have replaced the hi limit sensor and the temp sensor both, and have also jumpered the pressure switch.  No change to any of this behavior.  Thus, I concluded that the topside or board were probably bad.  I saw a post or two on these forums about bad topsides once in a great while causing intermittent problems of this nature - however, given the age of the tub, the replacement topside available online was listed as often incompatible with the older boards, with replacement of both board and topside recommended.

Obviously that was cost prohibitive, so I debated just replacing the heater relay board and using the breakers to turn the spa on and off, since I concluded that the every-few-seconds on-off on the relays must have been what was causing the issue, and I could at least fix that and try to reduce the wear on the board.

Lo and behold... ebay to the rescue?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caldera-Spas-Pure-Comfort-Spa-Pack-Controller-Topside-Keypad-Watkins-974701/222967700249

I got this and it arrived in apparently good shape.  The board seems to be the one that's recommended to replace mine, and as this topside/board combo were working previously I am hoping for no further issues there.  As a bonus, the heater relay board was also included so I'm just going to replace the whole box.

I am certainly capable of making all the switches in connection, etc. and will be quite careful to hook everything up correctly.  That said, two questions:

1) is there anything I should know before starting this "full box swap" as it were?  As best as I can tell, it seems this should work.

2) the sticky gasket on the bottom of the "new" topside is broken off in part - I assume when I remove my old topside it will have similar issues - is there something I should do underneath/around the topside to prevent water infiltration, or do I have to try to find a new gasket somewhere and clean the old one off the "new" topside and the top of my spa?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...

So just to update... this went well!  

To answer my own questions, for the benefit of anyone who may read this in the future:

- be very careful labeling each wire - I caused myself much unneeded stress and odd behavior of the tub by accidentally flipping "blower" and "circ pump" wires.  

- the plastic tabs holding each connection on can be delicate - I inadvertently broke one on my old board pulling the sensor plug off.

- the "program" jumper on the new board was a little different for the Martinique than my old board was - not a problem, works fine, just don't blindly copy it

The sticky gasket - cleaned it off easily on the "new" topside.  I then pried up the old topside with a pennknife and a very thin screwdriver.  Following that, I scraped the old silicone remnants off, and I applied a new bead of silicone caulk underneath the topside, and then another bead continuously around the outside of the new topside.  Seems to hold it in place fine, and keep water out, which is the important part!

I would encourage anyone thinking about this type of replacement to be very careful and do your homework on it - but it's certainly possible to do even large scale replacement projects like this yourself.  

In the end - this has been running for a couple of weeks now and is 100% successful thus far - we now have a fully working display, no intermittent heater stop-starts, and overall our hot tub is the best it's ever been.

• 1 year later...

Help!  I'm having the same problem.  2002 Caldera Martinique.  Temperature setting "dancing around" and causing clicking of relay when trying to maintain temperature.  My workaraound has been to heat the tub up to 102 degrees then turn down the set temperature to 80 degrees.....wait a few days and repeat!  Is this repair my only hope?  Any idea how much a dealer would charge to do this?  Thank You.

Howdy - your post might be seen better if you post it as a new post.  You could link to this one if you want to reference symptoms and so on.

For what it is worth, after having my original mainboard tested and found apparently good,  I now believe my issue was a bad topside.  Unfortunately these topsides are almost impossible to find anymore.

• Like 1

All is good with water flow through the circ pump.  Good bubble flow from the Ozone generator as well.  The unit was winterized....and this problem began last summer.  I filled with fresh water and a brand new filter a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have a multi-meter but I could get one if you can give me some guidance as to how to check the heat sensor.

Simple. Turn off power when heater is not on. Disconnect the sensors from the circuit board and take a resistance reading on both. They should be close to the same and steady. If they are more than a few hundred ohms apart or if either one changes its resistance while you watch it is bad. I always replace sensors in pairs.

If the sensors test good it is a circuit board issue. Check for signs of moisture or corrosion, dead bugs, spiderwebs, etc. Then post a pic of the circuit board so we can look at it.

I don't have a Multimeter.....but plan on picking one up tomorrow.  I took the cover off though to take a few photos of the circuit board.  I did notice some of the insulation on the left side white wire with yellow jacket looks burnt near the connector.  I took a close up of that.  I did unplug that wire and plugged it back in and it seems secure and the insulation around the connector is intact. 

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

Not to sound stupid...but.....I just pull the connectors off the circuit board (after shutting down power).  Then using the multimeter check the resistance on each of the connectors....one probe of the multimeter in each side of the connector?  Never used a multimeter before.  18 years and never a problem with this hot tub!

There was a board replaced maybe 16 years ago under warranty.  I don't have a receipt for whatever reason......but I do remember it was to correct a problem with the clean cycle.  The delay between the time the blower shut off and when the main pump went on was too short and caused something to trip out where I would get "Bars" across the display.  Not sure but I thought it was the main board.  Other than that.....no problems! (knock on wood).

Also....I have been "Babying" this thing ever since this here problem arose with the "fluctuating actual temperature".  Rather than let that relay/heater keep turning off and on continuously because of the fluctuation in the actual temp reading.....I turn the temp up to 102 degrees, let it get to temp, then turn it down to 80 degrees when not in use.  I keep the actual temperature and the set temperature far apart so that the fluctuating actual temperature (jumps around two to three degrees) doesn't keep kicking the heater on and off continuously. 

OK....hope I did this right.  I posted pictures of my readings with the Multimeter. 

Working from left to right on the circuit board:

Pressure Switch: Reads  ".7" with meter set at 200 Ohm. no fluctuation in reading
Limtherm: Reads " 6.45" with meter set at 20K Ohm. Fluctuates to 6.46
Regtherm: Reads ""6.8" with meter set at 20K ohm. Fluctuates to 6.81  \

Pictures posted below.....Thank You for the help TheWGP.

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

Glad you got ahold of a dealer to confirm.  I have used 72493 also.  A bit of advice: be careful not to lose the O-ring that comes off when you unscrew the housing and pull the old one out!  If you want to replace that O-ring to avoid any chance of a drip, I found one that fit mine at Lowe's - just take the old one up there to compare.

Here's a resource I use re: part numbers: https://www.hottubspasupplies.com/amfinder?find=caldera-martinique-2002-4495&sid=dq28cT2ucx (link is to this tub). I have not purchased from this site, and I can't speak to their complete accuracy (and would not count on it) but it may be helpful, though I have not actually purchased from them.

I have purchased from http://www.calderaspapartsplus.com/caldera-spa-thermistor-temp-control-2002-72493/ (link is to your temp sensor) - several times in the past 3 years, most recently just a month or so ago, and have always been pleased with them.  Highly recommend purchasing from a dealer if you are at all unsure.

• Like 1