First Hot Tub - Start basic or Go for it??

Hey all!

We're ready to pull the trigger and need some help. We decided on a brand (Hot Spring) and a great local dealer. Now, we're torn between two tubs: Limelight Flair and the HotSpot Relay. And this isn't a specific Hotspring model question, it can relate to any brand hot tub. 

Go basic: Since it's our first tub, we initially thought, well lets go with something very basic (yet reliable) to see if we like owning one, and use it enough. We have nothing to compare it to, so we'll still enjoy it. But will we get bored with this one, and stop using it?

Go for it: We're also thinking that even though it's our first tub, it's a long term purchase and we might as well get one with more features and benefits, buts it's also about $2200 more. But does that really mean anything over a 10-15 year span? Will our experience be better and increase the chance of us using it?

Flair - $8800 - ACE System included, felt incredible on the wet test, 5 yr component warranty, loaded with more features, stronger jetting, more control of the jets, circ pump, nice exterior lighting, but is there just more to break?? And wouldn't we just be happy with the rock solid HotSpot and save over $2k? Our budget was originally $6-8k

Relay - $6600 - We thought it felt great, but definitely very basic tub, 2 year component  warranty, no circ pump, etc. We told ourselves if we sat in this one (after sitting in many other brand tubs) and liked it, we would just decide on that one for the price it's at. But then we decided we wanted to test the Nicer one, just in case. 

So, what's everyone's experience (personal or with customers) that may or may not have decided to go for it on their first tub or stick with something entry level first? More often than not people regret not stepping up from the start? Or are Most happy with going entry level and it suits them for many years? 

We had purchased the Relay 3-4 weeks ago but had not had it delivered yet.  In talking to the owner we were standing by the Flair and he mentioned how much more insulation was in it compared to the Relay.  I also wanted the 24 hr circulation pump with an Ozinator.  To me that is too important to go without and it bothered me that we were buying one without.  To have the water circulating when its 40 degrees below zero with the heater running is something I had for 20 years and feel its important.  There is no option for that pump on the Relay.  We decided to upgrade!  Once we had it home I realized that the 3 pump speeds (pump 1 low & high, pump 2 high) along with the diverter valve to control the jets really added to our options on water flow.  The jets are nice!  I believe there are more/better??  We love it and are very happy we upgraded.  Ours came with speakers factory installed but not hooked up.  We always said we never would want to listen to music but I tried an experiment and brought out a portable speaker.  We stayed 2x longer than normal!  I ordered the dealer installed stereo w/bluetooth & subwoofer.  They came out and put it in.  WOW!  It is amazing!  (also very expensive).  The warrantee is longer, the tub itself weighs 10% more than the Relay but holds 10% less water so that tells you that there must be more insulation stuffed in it.  I will pay for the upgrade just on energy savings over time.. 

We have outdoor speakers from the inside stereo.  Last summer my kids gave us a 37" TV which I hung from the patio ceiling, we can rotate to watch from in the spa.

Note that we have a 1988 CalSpa so electronics like that were not even "thought of" back then.  But I'd rather not be "stuck" with stereo or TV decided upon from a spa manufacturer.

To me there is also value that the Flair comes with an indicator light to let you know if there is power to the tub (blue) and if the spa is within 2 degrees of the set temp (green).  Flashing green means there is a problem.  It is nice to be able to look out the window to see that everything is working!

My wife and I just went through this same delima a couple of months ago deciding between the HotSpot and Limelight series.  We ultimately went with a new 2018 Limelight Flash.  Basically the Flair without the lounger.  Yes, a little more money but overall we decided it was money well spent for several reasons.  Much better warranty, better insulation for better efficiency, better Jets, pumps, circulation, lighting, esthetics, control panel, etc...  Two months later we are extremely happy with our decision.  With the ACE system being thrown in right now on the Limelight series that is a nice bonus.  I do not have it but my buddy does.  Personally I wouldn't spend the money on it but if they include it then why not.  I've read that when they work they are great but seem to be prone to issues every couple of years.  I think you can bypass it if you decide you don't want to use it later on down the road.  I think you will be happy with either tub but for a couple thousand more I think you will be getting a much better tub for your money moving into the Limelight.  It could also potentially save you just as much in the warranty and energy savings.  

Good luck in your decision,

Matt

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, mghill77 said:

My wife and I just went through this same delima a couple of months ago deciding between the HotSpot and Limelight series.  We ultimately went with a new 2018 Limelight Flash.  Basically the Flair without the lounger.  Yes, a little more money but overall we decided it was money well spent for several reasons.  Much better warranty, better insulation for better efficiency, better Jets, pumps, circulation, lighting, esthetics, control panel, etc...  Two months later we are extremely happy with our decision.  With the ACE system being thrown in right now on the Limelight series that is a nice bonus.  I do not have it but my buddy does.  Personally I wouldn't spend the money on it but if they include it then why not.  I've read that when they work they are great but seem to be prone to issues every couple of years.  I think you can bypass it if you decide you don't want to use it later on down the road.  I think you will be happy with either tub but for a couple thousand more I think you will be getting a much better tub for your money moving into the Limelight.  It could also potentially save you just as much in the warranty and energy savings.  

Good luck in your decision,

Matt

We recently ordered a Flash. I was wondering how you have been liking it, have any advice, pics, etc. Also, how long did it take to ship? We are located in NC and understand it comes from California. Seems like it will never get here!