GFCI tripping - pressure switch?

Hi all, just joined the forum hoping to get some help and suggestions.

I purchased a used, older hot tub. I don’t know the exact brand but it is old with one pump and minimal jets. It has a Spa Pak Gamma 240 (very analog old school, no display etc)

When purchased, I was told it needed a heater element as the breaker was tripping, so I’ve replaced that. I just had the electrical connected yesterday.

So, with the heater switch in the off position, I can turn the tub on. The pump comes on in the low setting just fine. I can even press the “button” (the type that activates the second speed with an air line to the spa pak) and the motor kicks into higher gear and the jets seem to work, no problems.

As soon as I turn the heater control knob to “on” the breaker trips, this is my issue. Today I went and bought a new thermostat, replaced it and same thing. I also disconnected the high limit switch and tried again, same thing. I have since found one way to make it so that the breaker doesn’t trip when I turn the heat knob on - I pull the water tube that comes from the heater element tube on the pump off of the connection nipple to the pressure switch that is part of the spa pak.

When I pull that tube off, water of course freely flows out of it. When I kick the pump into high gear, it comes out with more pressure. And again, with this disconnected, I can turn the heater knob on all the way. Now I have no idea if it’s actually heating anything, but the breaker no longer trips.

From what I have read online, the pressure switch won’t normally trip a breaker unless there is a water leak into the pak, and after pulling it off, I don’t believe there is any leak. In fact, the little unit looks new given this tub may be 25 years old. Not sure if it matters but the switch is called “The Little General” switch number DD05SS

Any ideas? Anyone with experience with the older tubs like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob