(new owner) hot tub sitting unused - empty water

noah

I purchased a home that came with a Jacuzzi J-LX. I am a newbie when it comes to maintenance. The previous owner left very detailed instructions, but I still find myself a little unsure. The Jacuzzi J-LX has sat unused for a few months, and it seems like it's time for a full flush of the system (according to previous owner, should be done every 6 months). I plan on purchasing SeaKlear Spa System Flush and putting in 4 table-spoons per 100 gallons as described (4 * 3.9). Then I will run the jets for 15-30 minutes. After that, I will use a TACKLIFE-GSUP1A submersible pump to remove the water.

If I do this, can I leave the hot tub empty? For a week, a month, a year? Should I turn off the power to the hot tub after I empty it?

Is there anything else I need to do before or after emptying the water?

Thanks for any help,
Noah

PS. I do plan on refilling the hot tub, just trying to break the process down into smaller more understandable pieces...

It's very tough to get all the water out. The water that remains in the plumbing will probably contaminate the new water when you refill. Also, if you live in a northern climate, it can freeze and break things.

So...when you refill...most here recommend an Ahh-Some treatment (which kills biofilm). Then drain and refill again.

You won't find much love here for SeaKlear. As far as I know, Ahh-Some has no worthy competition.

Thanks for the tips. I will switch to Ahh-Some, and I will not leave the hot tub empty. For emptying the hot tub, the previous owner recommended a submersible pump. A couple questions:

1. Can I just open the drain and let it spill onto my deck? It rains there, so I would imagine it would just go down the same drain like rain water.
2. If I do choose a pump, is this pump reasonable?
https://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Tacklife-Automatic-High-efficiency-Protection-2800/dp/B0791ZQ9RX

Thanks,
Noah

My hot tub is at the top of a hill, I use a garden hose and syphon the water out. I submerge the entire hose in the spa and let all the air out and then just toss the end down the hill, it drains in about 20 minutes.

Harbor Freight Tools has some nice sump pumps for reasonable prices.

I now have the submersible pump and AhhSome. have spent a couple hours reading and trying to begin, but I've got more questions. I'm trying to check chlorine levels to make sure I have "adequate sanitizer" as directed by AhhSome. I have R-0870 which expired 7/17, and using that with 5 scoops in 10ml of water I still don't see any pink. I'm wondering if it went bad. But then again, I haven't added chlorine or done any maintenance in the 6 months since I've owned the spa.

I just added 3tsp of chlorinating granules to try and see if I can get a pink response. Does this sound reasonable? Perhaps buying a new testing kit is the better route? It looks like all chemicals in the kit expired this month or last month (except R-0870 which expired 6 months ago).

Thanks again,
Noah