Hotspring Heater Element 31255 Retrofit?

Jaws1965

The heater went out (0 Ohms) on my Hotspring Sovereign with 110V/1.5 kW Watkins 31255 4" flange mounted elem.ent.  These elements are no longer available and I'm having no luck finding old stock.  Anyone found a way to retrofit  another heater?  Thermcore has some flange mounted elements that are similar but I'm not sure the electronics would match up.  This is a low flow setup; 1/2" fittings

31255-400.jpg

31255_illustration_sm.jpg

If it was mine, and new elements were no longer available or real expensive, I think I'd make a square block off plate and make a hole in the center so I could use a standard bolt-in or screw-in water heater element from the hardware store.  Even the steel square plate from your old element might be able to be used for this.

My 1988 CalSpa did not have a great set-up for the screw-in element as purchased, I had to modify that to enable easier element changes.

Be innovative !!!

• 2 months later...

I’m in the same predicament! Replaced my circulation pump and a relay, spent some real money. Found my heater element is gone as well.  All due to a nasty winter storm back in February. So what did you do? I hope there is a solution, need my hot tub! My bones are creaking!

dan

978-499-0562

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem I replaced the 31255 element in my sovereign hottub about 7 years ago called the dealer I bought it from who told me they were a discontinued item and I would have to buy a $350 replacement heater element. I went on amazon and found this replacement flange heater for $49.99 installed it and now my hottub is heating again , hope this helps .it won’t let me upload the picture of the heater here for some reason ?

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out what I'd have to do to the original square plate on my dead element so I could just screw in a replacement standard water heater element.

I've been looking at the Twowings 4546 ERE Foldback Water Heater Element on amazon ($20), seems to be the same 1500w, 120v.  I think what I'm reading is that it would require a "1 inch pipe thread" to screw the element in place.  I'm not sure about trying to tap threads in the old metal square plate or just drill a slightly larger hole and then use a 1" nut and gasket of some kind on the other side of the plate.

Anyone have ideas?  Have you already done something like this?

Thanks,

Jon

I'm now considering using a newer No-fault heater unit instead, such as the Watkins 73790.  I think I can make the plumbing work, I would probably get the retro fit kit 71557 as it's about the same cost as two pressure bypasses.  The electric connection shouldn't be a problem with the 120v connector.  The only thing I'm worried about is the thermistor, the old 31255 based heater had a single un-shielded copper wire running to the control box.  I believe the new ones are resistance based.... I don't know a way to make the two compatible.

I’m in the same boat except I have a Classic F model. I’ve done a impendence test on the heater and it is zero. Any ideas where I can get a  31255 element or workaround?  Can anyone share what they did to get their tub going?  Thanks in advance.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was in the same situation, with a 1994 Sovereign. The heating element went out and couldn’t find one anywhere. I had given up and after seeing this post, decided to try a different element. I wanted to get the exact specs for the original element and when I searched for it, I actually found someone who had them in stock! SpaPartNet.com

https://www.spapartsnet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=31255

Ordered one on Sunday, it shipped on Tuesday and will be here Friday! Get one while they’re still in stock!