2003 Sundance Altamar main 2 speed pump won't run

LastO

I bought a used 2003 Sundance Altamar spa. Everything seems to be working except the main 2 speed pump.  It is supposed to kick on when the heater is on occasionally and I can hear it trying to but it won't start. It hums a couple seconds then quits.  It seems like a breaker iis kicking or something. After a few minutes it will try again with the same result. The pump spins fine by hand and doesn't seem to be restricted so I took off the run capacitor and tried to check it with an ohm meter. The readings seem to go up while the meter is on it and hold voltage . If I discharge it then it begins all over when I hook the ohm meter again. This seems to me like it is working correctly. So next I took off the start capacitor. Upon visual inspection it had some gooey looking black stuff on it so I ordered a new one. (pretty cheap so why not?) I installed the new start capacitor and the pump came on for a couple of seconds then shut off again. The new start capacitor felt hot. I took it back off. After a few minutes when the internal breaker kicks I tried the button again. The pump ran again for a couple of seconds with no start capacitor then shut off again! WTH? Now I'm real confused.  Upon closer inspection with both capacitors removed  I turned the pump on again and it ran again for a couple of seconds and Isaw a small wisp of smoke coming from the pump motor. Do I simply need to order a new pump? When it runs it sounds a bit noisier than the other pump that works fine. I would hate to put one on and still have the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT FOR ADDITION OF INFO:

There are no error codes displayed, The control buttons seem to work just fine IE: If I hit the pump control button the icon for each speed comes on. Pump just makes a humming noise and then turns off after a few seconds. Will not come back on for about a full minute or two then a click then it will try again if I hit the button again.  Pump turns by hand ok. Half the jets are not working. The recliner tries to work a bit on low on the times it came on for a few seconds. Now it won't come on at all. Just hums and then shuts off.

Sounds like the pump is bad.  I wouldn't waste my time trying to repair a 15 year old pump, get a new one.

To verify the pump's bad and it's not something else, I would take the other pump, that is the good one, and connect it to the first pump's connector on the circuit board.  Then see if the control panel buttons operate the second pump as expected.  You could also connect the suspected bad pump to the other pump's connectors to see if the malfunction continues.  The whole point of swapping the pump wiring is just to verify it's the pump that's bad and not the circuit board.

Dave

Thank you Dave for taking the time to respond. I will do as you say and switch the connections and see the result. I am guessing that the pump motor connections on the control panel are on the back of the board? I do not see them when I open the control panel cover.  I'll post the results here. I appreciate your help!  I found a pump here. It was about the only place I found to get the whole unit with the mounting bracket.    https://www.spaandpoolsource.com/6500-261-761-128-Spa-Pump-Sundance-Jacuzzi-spas.aspx