Any tips for installation of new barb fitting (Wavemaster 8200 Pump)?

Hello everyone!

We bought a house this past August that came with a Hot Springs Limelight Flair model hot tub. We were sold the house with the impression the hot tub worked, but never got around to setting it up until about 3 weeks ago. After filling it up, cleaning the jets, refilling etc. we got a good 2 days out of it until we noticed the water level dropping more that we figured it should. Long story short, I take the front panels off and see there's a leak coming out of the pump on the right side. I fiddle with the area and the whole section snapped off. After frantically displacing all the water (being completely unprepared at that moment for a gushing leak) I come to find that it's just a small $3.00 part that's broken a Barb Fitting for the pump. The piece cracked in half with the threaded part still being inside the pump, and the hex bolt/barb fitting part being inside the tube still.

This is the part s-l1600.jpg

So now, I have the part coming in the mail this weekend, and all broken pieces removed from the hot tub (had to heat gun the tubing to get the barb out)...is there anything I need to do other than insert the pieces into said locations?

There was teflon tape on the threads that go into the pump, does that NEED to be there? There was a sticky residue on the barbs when I pulled it out of the tubing...was that something? Do I / should I use some sort of lubricant when I re-heat the tubing to insert the barb?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

4 hours ago, thenixhex311 said:

The photo shows a rubber O-ring on the threaded side, that makes the seal.  If you want, add a small dab of waterproof pool/spa silicone grease there, and no need to overtighten.  Teflon (PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene) tape is only used for tapered PIPE threads, do not use that on any other type of threads for a seal.

As to the hose barb end, can lube with a little water, alcohol, glycerin to get the end on (can warm the hose end if necessary).  and use a worm-style hose clamp to secure it. 

The photo shows a rubber O-ring on the threaded side, that makes the seal.  If you want, add a small dab of waterproof pool/spa silicone grease there, and no need to overtighten.  Teflon (PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene) tape is only used for tapered PIPE threads, do not use that on any other type of threads for a seal.

As to the hose barb end, can lube with a little water, alcohol, glycerin to get the end on (can warm the hose end if necessary).  and use a worm-style hose clamp to secure it. 

image.png.161970efa36be9193f6adb4db533286d.png