Lay-z-spa Leaking From Pump - Tube A?

On 3/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, Whitey012001 said:

Hi,

Looking for some help from from Lay-z-spa owners. I have 2 year old vegas and there is water leaking from the bottom of the pump. It isn't flooding out, but enough to make it noticeable with the water level in the tub. 

My first question is, should water be flowing out of the tub through the air tube, tube A?? When I tried removed the pump to have a look at it, a lot of water came out of the air pump tube. Nothing came out of the water tubes A & B, as I blanked them off from inside the tub. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem. Is this normal?

I took the pump apart, but could not see and obvious leaks. There does look like there is a air release valve in the pump, wondering if this could be where the water from tube C is leaking back into the pump and coming out of the valve. Only issue is I can't really test this as I can't connect it to the tub. Any body have any advice or have had a similar problem and managed to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Neil

https://www.facebook.com/The-Lazy-Valve-103169364712197/

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Coleman version called the Saluspa and the non return valve is REALLY far in the pipe, like 10 inches deeper than the videos I see for the lay-z-spa. Otherwise the heater unit looks identical. I tried to peal back the liner to see how the A pipe was attached and it doesn't look like it's easily removed. 

Can I just seal off the A pipe coming out of the hot tub with a rubber plumbing seal cap? We don't use the bubbles much anyway so it wouldn't be a huge loss. I'm also considering cutting the A pipe and installing a custom shutoff valve that I can manually operate. I'll probably have to extend all the plumbing if I do that. 

On 6/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, GDuke said:

The same thing has happened to us yesterday. After 2 summers of very light use we set the tub up yesterday and the water was pouring from the bottom of the pump. I'm furious that I've bought something that the company knows I'll likely need to throw away after a very short period of time. I have the Paris model.

After some googling and advice from a very friendly fella on a Facebook hot tub group, It turns out that the issue was the non return valves in the blower unit. I've fixed it. Not sure how long it will last but it's working at the moment. I'm not suggesting anyone should or shouldn't try it but it's working for me at the moment. 

Unplug the pump and disconnect from the hot tub. Remove the base from the pump unit.

Remove the blower unit. (the large diameter pipe into your unit) 

Remove both ends by taking out the screws and expose the non return valves. 

The rubber seal on mine at the water end had perished and you can't buy a new replacement, so take the one from the bottom and swap it for the other. 

Now for the Blue Peter bit. I used two latex balloons (90p per pack from the card shop) stretched over the plunger.

Cut of the ends of the balloons. Pierce holes around  the balloon and about an inch from the cut edge so you can stretch it over the spigoted end of the plunger/valve. Slightly stretch the spring to make sure of a good seal. (I've been told that even if they fail then no water can get to the electrical parts). 

Put everything back together and cross your fingers and toes. Took me about twenty minutes to do. 

I've bought a set of a, b, c and water pump seals from ebay for £9.95 so at the end of the season and prior to putting it together next year I'll replace all the seals and might need to do this fix again but for now it's all good. I might make a video at that point too but for now I don't want to strip it again to show pictures etc. 

Hope this helps someone too

Oh and lazy spa sort your **** out and consider the environment. Not everything should be disposable. 

lay-z-spa-non-return-value-seal-air.jpg

I have the same issue with my  Paris spa which is just over two years old.  Water is Coming out of the bottom of the pump unit, not happy....

After lots of research I think that water will come always out of the liner from point A.  Mine does and the black non return valve is in place.  It does on my brother's as well.

I need to do this fix in the pump unit.  Have you managed to do a video?

Cheers.

Matt

The same thing has happened to us yesterday. After 2 summers of very light use we set the tub up yesterday and the water was pouring from the bottom of the pump. I'm furious that I've bought something that the company knows I'll likely need to throw away after a very short period of time. I have the Paris model.

After some googling and advice from a very friendly fella on a Facebook hot tub group, It turns out that the issue was the non return valves in the blower unit. I've fixed it. Not sure how long it will last but it's working at the moment. I'm not suggesting anyone should or shouldn't try it but it's working for me at the moment. 

Unplug the pump and disconnect from the hot tub. Remove the base from the pump unit.

The rubber seal on mine at the water end had perished and you can't buy a new replacement, so take the one from the bottom and swap it for the other. 

Now for the Blue Peter bit. I used two latex balloons (90p per pack from the card shop) stretched over the plunger.

Cut of the ends of the balloons. Pierce holes around  the balloon and about an inch from the cut edge so you can stretch it over the spigoted end of the plunger/valve. Slightly stretch the spring to make sure of a good seal. (I've been told that even if they fail then no water can get to the electrical parts). 

Put everything back together and cross your fingers and toes. Took me about twenty minutes to do. 

I've bought a set of a, b, c and water pump seals from ebay for £9.95 so at the end of the season and prior to putting it together next year I'll replace all the seals and might need to do this fix again but for now it's all good. I might make a video at that point too but for now I don't want to strip it again to show pictures etc. 

Oh and lazy spa sort your **** out and consider the environment. Not everything should be disposable. 

I have Palm Springs and it’s been fine but noticed when emptying it there is water in the inner lining so when refill with fresh water for first day it’s fine then after day put the jets on it just fizzes white cloudy and I have cleaned it thouroly changed water twice in two weeks as soon as jets go off the water is fine clear but never did this before any ideas changed filter every day 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, Mandi said:

There is a FB page called lazy valve, they are just going into production for an alternative solution. Check it out or check out Siobhan Smith on youtube.

Need to be a bit careful. Found one on ebay and it was 3d printed both the housing and rubber seal. Initially worked but the 3d printed flexible rubber warped and failed. Instant refund from the seller though. Going to laser cut the A hole seal and use a stainless bolt for more strength

• 2 weeks later...

OK thanks very much and a good description too. You need a long cross head driver to be able to remove the valve housing. I have added a pic of the culprit that is stretched over the white nylon mushroom at each end of the assembly. I wasn't expecting it to be so big. These should be available for spares so shame on Lay Z Spa for not selling them. Removed the black rubber and replaced with two balloons over each white mushroom. The inflating end of the balloon fits nicely around the white mushroom stem. I reckon a DIY fixer could have both done in 60 mins. Pity really that such things go wrong.

IMG_20200826_125435.jpg

IMG_20200826_125440.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have also a miami. After the first summer everthing seems fine, only some deformation of the liner around the upper white part of the liner. The A hole leak is very common, even Bestway writes that some water leakage is expected somewhere on the website. 
The real sealing is the double return valve shown in the picture above. First you have the weak return valve in the liner->thenthe first hemispheric seal, this closes the existing leakage. Behind it, in the 90 degrees knee there is a small exit valve, after the 90 degrees knee is the second last barrier hemispheric seal before it goes to the main electric parts. So they are aware of the issue. If your egg leaks the water is coming from the exit valve means the first hemispheric seal is broken.

Actually after getting into all the (other) issues with lay z spas people should reconsider buying another brand. Their products are designed to fail and the spare part policy is creating a kind of “black market” with sometimes very high prices. Most of the time its better to buy a new whirlpool. Some DIY stores in Europe offer the whirlpool for 300€+. But its still pricy to buy every summer a new faulty product...

The 2021 lay z whirlpools have a new “egg”, anyone a idea of improvements for the issues? 

• 2 weeks later...

You can find both non-return valves on ebay now, the umbrella valve inside the liner and the dome-shaped valve in the pump:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Return-Umbrella-Valve-Check-Valve-Seal-for-Bestway-Coleman-SaluSpa-Lay-Z-Spa/254813890356

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Air-Blower-Non-Return-Check-Valve-Seals-for-Bestway-Coleman-SaluSpa-Lay-Z-Spa/254798466900

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,hope someone can help on here. I have a Hawaii hyrdojet pro about 4 years old. While in it during the Sumer the water drained to the jet level, no leaks but the water went inside the liner. Got the water out of the liner through the air inlet. But the liner will not inflate. Not sure if this can be repaired any ideas before I bin it ? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

so had this same issue on an intex.  the intex tube A does not seem to have the spot to attach any of the plugs i've seen available.  I went looking for a backflow preventer and found that lowe's has some pvc check valves for pools and hot tubs. however upon physically seeing them I was not sure they would fit into the tube on the intex. on the intex tube A the part coming from the pump inserts into the part coming from the tub so anything would have to actually be insertable and not take up extra room in the tubes or else you wouldn't be able to screw the tubes together.  while in lowes i looked around to see if there was anything else i could try.  what i can up with was Stop N" pop lavatory stopper.  (the one for the sink. the tub one wouldn't fit). the tube coming from the tub seems to have a place that is a little smaller in diameter inside.  i assume that is to prevent the tube from the pump being inserted too far.  i placed the stopper against that part with the pop up top toward the tub.  then i inserted the pump tube in as usual and screwed it down.  just did it yesterday but so far it seems to work.  air flows past the stopper and I'm not seeing any signs of water coming back through.  this was important as without stopping the flow of water you couldn't use the air pump to pump up the tub nor the bladder without danger of putting water in where there shouldn't be any.

stop n pop.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, melgoi said:

so had this same issue on an intex.  the intex tube A does not seem to have the spot to attach any of the plugs i've seen available.  I went looking for a backflow preventer and found that lowe's has some pvc check valves for pools and hot tubs. however upon physically seeing them I was not sure they would fit into the tube on the intex. on the intex tube A the part coming from the pump inserts into the part coming from the tub so anything would have to actually be insertable and not take up extra room in the tubes or else you wouldn't be able to screw the tubes together.  while in lowes i looked around to see if there was anything else i could try.  what i can up with was Stop N" pop lavatory stopper.  (the one for the sink. the tub one wouldn't fit). the tube coming from the tub seems to have a place that is a little smaller in diameter inside.  i assume that is to prevent the tube from the pump being inserted too far.  i placed the stopper against that part with the pop up top toward the tub.  then i inserted the pump tube in as usual and screwed it down.  just did it yesterday but so far it seems to work.  air flows past the stopper and I'm not seeing any signs of water coming back through.  this was important as without stopping the flow of water you couldn't use the air pump to pump up the tub nor the bladder without danger of putting water in where there shouldn't be any.

stop n pop.jpg

Wow. You are an absolute genius!!!!! Any update since than!? Please and thanks!

On 3/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, melgoi said:

stop n pop.jpg

Hey, what stops this from blowing back the direction of the pump/heater? I get that you push it in tight  but did you use a bead of superglue or silicone? Or just shove it in with force like heck? Feel free to txt 13062913744 rrr306@gmail.com.  need an answer going to buy this rn from lowes.

• 1 month later...

My layzspa on it's second winter decided it was going to trip it's circuit breaker. On investigating the pump saw water leaking out of A pipe when i disconnected (did see a small amount when i cleaned and filled it but didn't think much of it). Expect may have really messed up the pump unit.

Have blanked off the air intake but not 100% sure it's worth fixing. (May need replacement pump unit)