Lay-z-spa Leaking From Pump - Tube A?

This has happened to my Lay-Z-Spa Saint Tropez which was purchased last July 2018 and set it up yesterday and it is leaking from the air inlet (A) and also under the heater pump, phoned the manufacturer and they said this is normal lol . Only used it for 6 weeks last summer and already broken! they've sent me an email saying there sorry and an attachment showing possible causes. Will never buy one of the Spa's ever again! Avoid this company!

I have the MIAMI, same problem. Used it for a couple of summers (6 weeks each max), this year the water is dripping from the lower pipe. This should blow air into the pool with a (failed) one way valve. Obviously not repairable, but I have ordered another washer to see if I can at least prevent the leak but don't know what damage the water will do to the actual pump! If this fails I've also bought an end piece to block up this hole for good. I won't be able to run the bubbles, but at least I can still have a hot tub!

Cheap design fault, if the spa was £100 I'd be ok with two years use...but they still sell for over £300. This is terrible design and I'm surprised BESTWAY haven't come up with a fix. Instead of sealing the hole, surely it would be possible to fit a better exterior valve before the pump connection. Seems BESTWAY are telling customers it is VERY UNUSUAL, when it's obviously not.

Gobalot you can’t put the end piece on or the other b and c can’t be connected. I bought play doe and cut 2 circles out of the plastic tub.Piut one in failed air valve and stuffed play doe in and the same on the pump end and connected it. No leak now and can use it as a heated pool but DO NOT USE THE BUBBLES.i can always take it out if anyone figures out how to fix the faulty rubber bit but at least I can get in it 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:35 AM, King Tubby said:

This may help?

Our Vegas is in its 4th summer, once I get this sorted... 

https://youtu.be/DwmmkKq_qD4

This is if you can get hold of your displaced diaphragm to refit. 

I haven't opened mine yet, but I like your idea how to fix.... such a horrible design flaw... they should make this a very easy item to replace... they will have to do a fix if they want to keep selling these spa's.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Monty said:

Am getting water leak at air input of pool only if not pumping air must have a non return valve or flap !n !nflatable pool i am a motor mechanic 35 years and wont be buying a new spa but mending it watch this space for a answer ! Monty!

Did you fix it Monty? If so please share how. Many thanks. 

My spa is also leaking water from the heater. When I got it out and set it up this spring it was leaking from a seal on the intake which was broken.  As it turns out this little rubber seal which is worth about 50 cents is not available anywhere but from Bestway for about $15 with shipping. I gave in and ordered one put it in and which solved that leak and now the heater is leaking...ugh! My spa is only two years old and since you can’t use it in the winter it has only seen about 8 months of use.  This is ridiculou, what a poorly designed manufactured piece of rubbish! So many people are having exactly the same problem yet Bestway doesn’t seem to care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, GDuke said:

The same thing has happened to us yesterday. After 2 summers of very light use we set the tub up yesterday and the water was pouring from the bottom of the pump. I'm furious that I've bought something that the company knows I'll likely need to throw away after a very short period of time. I have the Paris model.

After some googling and advice from a very friendly fella on a Facebook hot tub group, It turns out that the issue was the non return valves in the blower unit. I've fixed it. Not sure how long it will last but it's working at the moment. I'm not suggesting anyone should or shouldn't try it but it's working for me at the moment. 

Unplug the pump and disconnect from the hot tub. Remove the base from the pump unit.

Remove the blower unit. (the large diameter pipe into your unit) 

Remove both ends by taking out the screws and expose the non return valves. 

The rubber seal on mine at the water end had perished and you can't buy a new replacement, so take the one from the bottom and swap it for the other. 

Now for the Blue Peter bit. I used two latex balloons (90p per pack from the card shop) stretched over the plunger.

Cut of the ends of the balloons. Pierce holes around  the balloon and about an inch from the cut edge so you can stretch it over the spigoted end of the plunger/valve. Slightly stretch the spring to make sure of a good seal. (I've been told that even if they fail then no water can get to the electrical parts). 

Put everything back together and cross your fingers and toes. Took me about twenty minutes to do. 

I've bought a set of a, b, c and water pump seals from ebay for £9.95 so at the end of the season and prior to putting it together next year I'll replace all the seals and might need to do this fix again but for now it's all good. I might make a video at that point too but for now I don't want to strip it again to show pictures etc. 

Hope this helps someone too

Oh and lazy spa sort your **** out and consider the environment. Not everything should be disposable. 

lay-z-spa-non-return-value-seal-air.jpg

Hi, is there any chance you could find pictures and maybe edit to show which bits you’re referring to in your steps.  I’m not really sure what the large diameter bit is that you’re referring to.  Cheers

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have bought a generic non return valve from a pool supplier in the uk for an air blower 2 inch, some sur sur clips and an extra b and c pipe (used) put them inline as the non return valve is 130mm long.

if water is leaking from the b and c pipes flipped the pump up side down, put plumbers tape on with a new seal and a good dose of bathroom silicon mastic. Screwed the pump back on as tight as possible so no leaks cost 50pounds to fix and one weekend

P

• 3 weeks later...

YES ...WATER IS SUPPOSE TO POUR OUT OF "A        There is a cap that came with the tub...when you remove the pump you have to quick screw on the cap...AND yes the eggs leask badly after only a few months of use ..VERY CHEAP CHINESE JUNK....Sad because the a tad of design improvement would fix the scupper valve  (the mushroom  looking thing in the valve body)   

• 5 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, Davidbrady said:

Hi, is there any chance you could find pictures and maybe edit to show which bits you’re referring to in your steps.  I’m not really sure what the large diameter bit is that you’re referring to.  Cheers

Hi Davidbrady,

This is the part you’re asking about. 
I thought I had a leaky NRV in the hot tub liner (which I did). So following the YouTube link, I repaired that and still had a leaking pump.

followed the next piece of advice and removed the filter pipe (picture 5). Followed other advice and used PTFE tape and buffed up that seal.

then whilst the motor was apart, used a condom and recovered the mushroom looking bit which is the bottom of the 2 NRV in the air jet blower.

let me know if you have any questions.

2F6F85B7-E20F-4AA5-A68D-6EBF18101583.jpeg

CF569745-46D5-4A61-9736-3EBFAA5BD11D.jpeg

490EE2BD-A295-4323-856C-4802648899C5.jpeg

2E0C6A82-B720-46D1-A7C3-0E9286DFA71A.jpeg

F101780E-7FE2-42A3-B469-2A7B7455CD69.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thankyou @DUKE that worked perfectly, I also smeared vaseline around the edges of where the NRV fits to try to double water tight the area, I also used condoms as had no balloons and seems to be working fine.... Although was an interesting conversation with the wife when she came home from work to find me sat in the hot tub with two condom wrappers and a tub of vaseline on the side 🙄

I've had a similar issue with water leaking from our Vegas hot tub.

Over the course of two days with the filter pump running i lost about 5 inches of water. It's not clear where the water has gone, the ground around the pump appears dry and there is no sign of water around the hot tub.

I then noticed that if i turn the pump off, though leave all the pump pipes connected, the water leak has completely stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

On 6/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, GDuke said:

The same thing has happened to us yesterday. After 2 summers of very light use we set the tub up yesterday and the water was pouring from the bottom of the pump. I'm furious that I've bought something that the company knows I'll likely need to throw away after a very short period of time. I have the Paris model.

After some googling and advice from a very friendly fella on a Facebook hot tub group, It turns out that the issue was the non return valves in the blower unit. I've fixed it. Not sure how long it will last but it's working at the moment. I'm not suggesting anyone should or shouldn't try it but it's working for me at the moment. 

Unplug the pump and disconnect from the hot tub. Remove the base from the pump unit.

Remove the blower unit. (the large diameter pipe into your unit) 

Remove both ends by taking out the screws and expose the non return valves. 

The rubber seal on mine at the water end had perished and you can't buy a new replacement, so take the one from the bottom and swap it for the other. 

Now for the Blue Peter bit. I used two latex balloons (90p per pack from the card shop) stretched over the plunger.

Cut of the ends of the balloons. Pierce holes around  the balloon and about an inch from the cut edge so you can stretch it over the spigoted end of the plunger/valve. Slightly stretch the spring to make sure of a good seal. (I've been told that even if they fail then no water can get to the electrical parts). 

Put everything back together and cross your fingers and toes. Took me about twenty minutes to do. 

I've bought a set of a, b, c and water pump seals from ebay for £9.95 so at the end of the season and prior to putting it together next year I'll replace all the seals and might need to do this fix again but for now it's all good. I might make a video at that point too but for now I don't want to strip it again to show pictures etc. 

Hope this helps someone too

Oh and lazy spa sort your **** out and consider the environment. Not everything should be disposable. 

lay-z-spa-non-return-value-seal-air.jpg

thank you we had the same problem. the rubber isn't broken but leaking from here so maybe worn, have swapped and trying now. thanks again x

Wound up swapping the mushroom from the top of the blower (where it doesn't really do anything) with the one in the path of the water, and stopped a leak that was losing me a good 10% of the water in 24 hours.

The problem is that this mushroom is just going to fail again in a year or two, and then I don't have another spare to rotate in. I don't think wrapping it in latex is going to work as a long term solution, that stuff degrades in hot water and can't handle chlorine. The new "Lazy Valve" thing on facebook looks alright, but a £35 expense every couple of years isn't great, and I'm not convinced of the effectiveness over time, or the mating surfaces. If the rubber was easily replaceable, it'd probably be the best option.

The option of fitting an existing non-return valve is the most promising, because those are only £20 and I'm betting I can just buy a chunk of rubber and cut it to size every year if it perishes, but I'm not sure about how to create a removable connection for storage in the winter on one of those, if I have to cut off and re-apply mastic every year I'm better off just putting balloons over the mushrooms at the start of the season and hoping it lasts a few months.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 1:47 AM, JC IN HB said:

I haven't opened mine yet, but I like your idea how to fix.... such a horrible design flaw... they should make this a very easy item to replace... they will have to do a fix if they want to keep selling these spa's.... 

https://www.facebook.com/The-Lazy-Valve-103169364712197/