Lay-z-spa Leaking From Pump - Tube A?

Hi,

Looking for some help from from Lay-z-spa owners. I have 2 year old vegas and there is water leaking from the bottom of the pump. It isn't flooding out, but enough to make it noticeable with the water level in the tub. 

My first question is, should water be flowing out of the tub through the air tube, tube A?? When I tried removed the pump to have a look at it, a lot of water came out of the air pump tube. Nothing came out of the water tubes A & B, as I blanked them off from inside the tub. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem. Is this normal?

I took the pump apart, but could not see and obvious leaks. There does look like there is a air release valve in the pump, wondering if this could be where the water from tube C is leaking back into the pump and coming out of the valve. Only issue is I can't really test this as I can't connect it to the tub. Any body have any advice or have had a similar problem and managed to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Neil

• 1 month later...
On 30 March 2018 at 9:06 PM, Whitey012001 said:

Hi,

Looking for some help from from Lay-z-spa owners. I have 2 year old vegas and there is water leaking from the bottom of the pump. It isn't flooding out, but enough to make it noticeable with the water level in the tub. 

My first question is, should water be flowing out of the tub through the air tube, tube A?? When I tried removed the pump to have a look at it, a lot of water came out of the air pump tube. Nothing came out of the water tubes A & B, as I blanked them off from inside the tub. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem. Is this normal?

I took the pump apart, but could not see and obvious leaks. There does look like there is a air release valve in the pump, wondering if this could be where the water from tube C is leaking back into the pump and coming out of the valve. Only issue is I can't really test this as I can't connect it to the tub. Any body have any advice or have had a similar problem and managed to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Neil

On 30 March 2018 at 9:06 PM, Whitey012001 said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Neil

Hi did you ever get an answer as the exact same has just happened to me?

thank you in advance

No, I never did. But after some research I found that there is a rubber non return valve inside the tube that dislodged resulting in the water flowing out of the a tube. I found the valve in the bubble skirt, right at the end on the skirt. I moved it all the way back and yes to reattach to no avail. I ended up selling the tub as faulty and buying a new one. Brought the Hawaii Hydrojet pro. They’ve rethought the system and there is t the valve any more. When I contacted lay-z-spa they said it was very uncommon for their spas to fail. I would contact them and complain, as this is clearly a common problem!!!! 

Anyway. I am very happy with the Hawaii, a much better spa IMHO, but at over £600 it should be!

• 1 month later...

Im having the exact same issue with my 2016 palm springs! Water was gushing out of the air pipe when I took the pump off and now have a trickle of water coming out from under the pump unit while its turned on. Should I turn it off and drain it? 

My friend has also had the same thing with the Paris and they've sent them a new liner but I'm out of warranty so I don't think they will unless I can persuade them to as it's a manufacturing defect? 

27 minutes ago, Le456 said:

Im having the exact same issue with my 2016 palm springs! Water was gushing out of the air pipe when I took the pump off and now have a trickle of water coming out from under the pump unit while its turned on. Should I turn it off and drain it? 

My friend has also had the same thing with the Paris and they've sent them a new liner but I'm out of warranty so I don't think they will unless I can persuade them to as it's a manufacturing defect? 

I contacted the manufacturer and they said that this was very rare! Ended up selling my broken and buying a new one!

I've been in contact with Bestway, they are sending out a new liner as a gesture of good will which is very much appreciated :)

The advisor I spoke with said it was the non return valve within the inflatable liner for the air bubbles - tube A which  as it was failing was causing water to go back into the air pump thus leaking from the bottom of the pump unit, apparently it is a common thing as the valve is rubber and perishes over time, they said that I won't get a warranty with the new liner and it'll likely happen to this one too within the next 24 months as it's a "wear and tear item" and "rubber does that" and this is not usually covered by the warranty. From my point of view this is very wrong of them to have a part that will knowingly fail within 2 years of purchase due to "wear and tear" and it can't be repaired you have to replace the whole liner which is as expensive as buying a new spa! all in all I have had about 6 months use of my hot tub before this happened and not even heavy use, I think this is a major design flaw!

It’s quite poor! I said this but as my tub was 3 years old they didn’t offer me anything. However, I was told it’s not that common 🤔!

I have upgraded to a Hawaii air jet pro. Was on offer a few months ago. A much better spa, and there is no non-return valve to break! From what I can work out It uses air pressure to stop the water flow. 

Flad you’ve had a result!!!!

• 9 months later...

Hi did anyone find a fix for this problem? Can the non return valve be replaced or repaired? Mine looks like the non return valve has disappeared completely and water is feeding back through the air tube and escaping from the air valve assembly

• 2 weeks later...

Got a similar problem with wife's. Water coming I suspect from air release valve. There is a non-return in line on pump and this must be passing but apparently there should be a non-return in connection on liner but on her last two there wasn't so whenever you disconnect you lose a lot of water and this valve would have negated this and possibly stopped water getting back through pump. You cannot buy this separately and advised to buy a new liner but lot of expense to do that for something that should have already been fitted.

I have the Miami, only 3 years old and very little use. The water leaked out from under the pump and I checked that and thought I’d stopped it......NOT! There is water gushing from the A inlet when I remove the pump......... I’m furious as these should last longer than this! 

• 3 weeks later...

My problem is similar but not quite the same! My Miami is less than a year old, and it was fine last year. However, I got it out (it's been stored in its box in a lined shed over the winter) and erected it last week .... I didn't use it yesterday and this morning I noticed it had noticeably deflated .. BUT ...no escape of water. (If I unscrew the inflation fitting I don't lose water -- only air!) There isn't a 'wrench' supplied with the Miami to tighten the non-return air valve, but there is definitely a faint air escape from it.... I've tightened the 'collar' as much as I dare.....also I've looked through various diagrams of parts etc and none seem to look like a replacement non-return valve for the Miami, nor do the part numbers fit! Help anyone please??

Am getting water leak at air input of pool only if not pumping air must have a non return valve or flap !n !nflatable pool i am a motor mechanic 35 years and wont be buying a new spa but mending it watch this space for a answer ! Monty!

Our Palm Springs appears to be doing much the same as all these. We set it up this week only to find that the water level has gone down considerably each time we use it 

There doesn’t appear to be any water leaking from any of the pump valves and it doesn’t appear to have any sort of rip or split in the liner.

Does anyone think we have the same problem - it’s about three years old

Jackie

Our Palm Springs pump is doing the same.  Last year there was a small water leak from the bottom of the pump. We returned the pump to Bestway but it still leaked a bit when we got it back - it was usable though.  We've just set it up again this year and the leak is terrible - we filled the hot tub around 8pm last night and this morning it was virtually empty (right down to the filter)!

On 5/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Monty said:

Am getting water leak at air input of pool only if not pumping air must have a non return valve or flap !n !nflatable pool i am a motor mechanic 35 years and wont be buying a new spa but mending it watch this space for a answer ! Monty!

Any progress Monty?

It’s a flap that’s supposed to close off in Valve A inside the pool liner when pump is off or not pumping air around. 

I rang Lazy Spa they said they don’t have replacement parts for this but they can be repaired but not by them. If the pool is under warranty they will send out a new pool liner. 

Other Spa companies may sell the valve which houses the return valve flap (stops water returning into the base/pod) when off. It’s only the flap that’s damaged but it’s a sealed component. The repair can be done but not by Lazy Spa. 

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing has happened to us yesterday. After 2 summers of very light use we set the tub up yesterday and the water was pouring from the bottom of the pump. I'm furious that I've bought something that the company knows I'll likely need to throw away after a very short period of time. I have the Paris model.

After some googling and advice from a very friendly fella on a Facebook hot tub group, It turns out that the issue was the non return valves in the blower unit. I've fixed it. Not sure how long it will last but it's working at the moment. I'm not suggesting anyone should or shouldn't try it but it's working for me at the moment. 

Unplug the pump and disconnect from the hot tub. Remove the base from the pump unit.

Remove the blower unit. (the large diameter pipe into your unit) 

Remove both ends by taking out the screws and expose the non return valves. 

The rubber seal on mine at the water end had perished and you can't buy a new replacement, so take the one from the bottom and swap it for the other. 

Now for the Blue Peter bit. I used two latex balloons (90p per pack from the card shop) stretched over the plunger.

Cut of the ends of the balloons. Pierce holes around  the balloon and about an inch from the cut edge so you can stretch it over the spigoted end of the plunger/valve. Slightly stretch the spring to make sure of a good seal. (I've been told that even if they fail then no water can get to the electrical parts). 

Put everything back together and cross your fingers and toes. Took me about twenty minutes to do. 

I've bought a set of a, b, c and water pump seals from ebay for £9.95 so at the end of the season and prior to putting it together next year I'll replace all the seals and might need to do this fix again but for now it's all good. I might make a video at that point too but for now I don't want to strip it again to show pictures etc. 

Hope this helps someone too

Oh and lazy spa sort your **** out and consider the environment. Not everything should be disposable. 

lay-z-spa-non-return-value-seal-air.jpg