Salt Level dropping

DianeE

The salt level in my pool keeps dropping. I add 4 bags of salt and within weeks the level has dropped that much again. I turned off my autofill for a month to see if there was a leak and it didn't go down. It's winter so there is ni evaporation. I have a cartridge filter so I'm not losing any through backwash. Help! I'm stumped! 

What type of chlorine generator do you have, what brand? Also salt level does not depend on evaporation because your salt and stabilizer does not evaporate. The salt is just fuel to make chlorine by electrolysis by your cell. Note when a cell is dirty and needs cleaning it will read the salt level incorrectly. Most do not have a salt meter they simply have a mathematical thing that compares the voltage and amp readings and come up with that magical number of salt in parts per million ppm. Make sure about your salt level by either taking a sample to a pool store that has an actual salt meter and they do make salt test strips. The strips are often unreliable because they have a short shelf life. If your cell is reading the salt level wrong from being dirty or it is failing, you can overload your pool with salt and will have to drain water out to get it back to normal. Let me know which brand you have.