new to hot tub chemistry

LaValley

So, here I go.  I have a Caldera Tahitian Utopian 375 gallon hot tub that is eating chlorine like there is no tomorrow.  I have ordered the Taylor test kit which should arrive on March 2nd.  In the meantime, can someone direct to to products that are mentioned here such as muratic acid and borates.  Are there products you can buy which contain these chemicals.   If so, what are the product names or where do you buy these chemicals>

Thanks

If it's eating chlorine, then the question should be why.  Really shouldn't need muriatic acid in a hot tub, pH down is the dry acid version and should be more than sufficient besides being safer to handle.  ProTeam has Gentle Spa, which is borates, but borates alone are not going to stop chlorine loss.  How old is the water?  Where is the pH?  When you say eating chlorine, can you provide an idea of how much you are putting in and how long until it is gone?

I dumped and cleaned the tub the 1st week of January.  The filter is brand new, also am using a nature2 cartridge.  PH is right on target finally, but now the alkalinity is off the charts.  I generally add about 2 TB of chlorine.  When I add the chlorine in the am day 1, the chlorine is low on am day 2, and by day 3 gone.  I am only using the hot tub once a week for about an hour right now, because people have gotten rashes from it.  I used to use the hot tub everyday for pain control, and would really like to solve this chemical balancing thing.  I got the muratic acid from this forum.  Chem Geek and Nitro, I believe.

Your chlorine loss isn't too far off from normal.  Chlorine dissipates faster when water is over 97 degrees and the ozone is also oxidizing off the chlorine.  I personally would super-chlorinate the hot tub (add a lot), let it cycle through until it reaches normal levels, then purge with something like Ahhsome or Hot Tub Serum (something that removes biofilm) and start fresh.  If there is a bacteria issue, normal chlorine levels will not resolve the issue.