Pool Heater Replacement Questions

Donovan

I bought a house with a pool four years ago.  The pool system includes a Mastertemp 400 heater.  The heater stopped working and makes a gurgling noise when turned on.  I understand that this means that the heat exchanger has failed and is leaking into the combustion chamber.  

The heater is something like 10 years old.  It seems at that age I should buy a new unit, rather than trying to have the heat exchanger replaced.  Thoughts?

A guy we like for the install will install another Mastertemp for half the price of installing a Raypack (won't have to do much pipe work).  I've read that people mildly prefer the Raypack, but maybe not enough to make up for a couple hundred extra bucks of install.  Thoughts?

I've heard that a sacrificial anode might extend the life of my new heater.  I don't have a salt pool.  Is an anode helpful in an old-fashioned chlorine pool, or only a salt pool?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi Donovan

while not sure about the anode, I’d say 10 years is plenty long service and if that part does fix it, it’s only a few months before more goes and you start chasing your tail. I’d suggest getting a new one and would expect to see some good season close out sales pretty soon...good luck!