IN-XM1 triping

Leeo

Just got a “free” Morgan tub. Wired it all up and it’s trips the breaker. Disconnected everything from the in-xm1 and it still trips breaker. With everything hooked up, when I turn breaker on, there is a click in the heater but the breaker trips. Thoughts? 

Is this a new breaker that you installed yourself?  Does it have a GFCI?  If so, is the Neutral out on the GFCI connected to the neutral bar in your subpanel, or is it connected to the white wire going to the hot tub?  Here's a wiring diagram showing how the GFCI is supposed to be wired: https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/installing-a-gfci-hot-tub/     

A common issue for do-it-yourselfer's (and a few electricians too) is to wire the Neutral LOAD to the neutral bar, which will cause your GFCI to trip.

If the GFCI is wired properly, the breaker holds without the XM pack connected, and trips when the XM pack is connected but nothing is connected to the XM pack, than the XM pack is the issue. 

Dave

Thanks for the response!! Yes, the neutral output is connected to the neutral load on the breaker itself. The neutral from the back of the breaker goes to the neutral bus, and the neutral input is going into the neutral bus. 

With all 4 wires disconnected from the pack, the breaker works fine. Once you connect it to the pack it trips, even with all subcomponents disconnected. I even pulled one hot leg off at a time to see if the breaker would stay on just Incase the breaker was bad. Still trips. 

I was pretty certain it was the pack, I am a helicopter electrician by trade and had narrowed it down pretty quickly. However, I’ve never messed with hot tubs so was just looking for a second opinion on it. 

I pulled the pack apart and the amount of rust and corrosion is ridiculous.

again, thanks for your response and time! I think I will order a pack and see how it goes.