Chlorine & bromine

Susanj

Recently I called our spa manufacturer with a question and the CS agent said something I'd never heard before and I don't think I believe . She said using  bromine and chlorine  at the same time is bad and they cancel each other out.

If you have a bromine tub and  you want to switch to chlorine you have to empty the water and start new.

From what I've read , even a bromine tub has some chlorine because of the chemical reaction with the bromine tabs. 

We have a bromine floater and our hot tub guy convinced me to start having him add  a little Dichlor to keep the water clear . Previously we had just been using MPS.  And he also still uses MPS. 

Comments?

Technically yes, you are not going to use chlorine and bromine together.  It is also correct that if you have a bromine hot tub, you need to do a drain and refill to switch to chlorine.  If you are on chlorine, you can switch to bromine on the fly without changing the water.  I have never personally heard though that they cancel each other out.  I have had customers use chlorine as a shock for bromine, but my question would be why?  If MPS isn't doing a good enough job where you need additional sanitizer, then you might as well just use chlorine, in my opinion.

Thanks. 

I know how to use bromine - a bromide starter packet on fill, bromine tabs in a floater and a shock, but how does one use chlorine- a weekly shock with a little bit during the week as needed? 

To answer your question , I think it's because bromine has more staying power as a sanitizer but chlorine  may do a better job in clearing up cloudy water .

Our situation is that we have a vacation rental with stays of 2-7 nts.  No one is going to be monitoring the water during their stay. I go back and forth on asking guests to handle chemicals, like having them put  in premeasured amounts of MPS or  Dichlor after each use. 

If you are looking for something stronger than MPS, you could consider a bromine concentrate.  I know it's technically a mix of bromine and chlorine, but the idea is that it's a one-step sanitizer and oxidizer.  SpaGuard by BioGuard makes it, so does Natural Chemistry, and maybe a few others.  If he is set on using dichlor and mps, then use something like Enhanced Shock from SpaGuard.  Its a combination of dichlor and mps.

Bromine is a "warm water sanitizer" meaning that once your water temperature exceeds 97 degrees, the dissipation rate does not change.  Chlorine, while a stronger disinfectant, dissipates faster in the warm water.  You are right that it is probably a lost cause asking guests to do any water chemistry work.