pump turns on and off

Katie c

A friend gave me a hot tub but I cant seem to get it to circulate long enough to heat. The pump works fine when I turn on the jets. It heats and seems to work until 15 minutes and then it cuts off and turns on about every two minutes for about 3 seconds and then goes back off. I can't get it to stay on and heat. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

Turning on every 2 minutes for 3 seconds is a symptom of an overheat condition, which is usually related to bad water flow.  Are you getting any error messages on the control panel?

It could be a pump issue, before you go nuts with ripping the tub apart, turn off the spa, remove the filters,  turn the spa back on again and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, you need new filters.

Dave

The pump should not be painful to touch.  If you can't put your hand on it and hold your hand there, then the motor is overheating.  There is an internal circuit that shuts it down if it gets over a certain temperature.   The last time I ran into one of those, the motor case was 160 degrees F, while the other pump in that spa that wasn't malfunctioning got to about 120.

How old is the motor?  What kind of hot tub is it? 

Dave